[Michlib-l] Drive Thru Window Results

Casey Branch cbranch at ssldl.info
Wed Apr 28 12:51:18 EDT 2021

Hi All,

Thank you to the libraries with drive thru windows that responded to my
request.

The response from the libraries is that most do not require call ahead or
appointments to be made to pick up items at the drive thru window.  Our
library’s window is quite a distance (about 30 yards) from our holds room.
We may decide to ask patrons to call ahead, so that we can stage their
items near the window.  Some libraries have a system that when the holds
slip is printed it states whether the patron wants to pick up inside or at
the window.  We do not have this option at our library.

Most libraries do not have a staff member staffing the window at all
times.  We will also not plan to have someone at the window at all times.
We will have the staff member who is working near the window, be
responsible for serving patrons when they drive up.

Most libraries use their windows for holds pickups only.  A few offer other
services such as copying, faxing, library card renewal, library card
requesting, paying of fines, etc.  We are going to start out with hold pick
ups only and decide from there.

All libraries that responded do not allow patrons to request AND pick up
from the drive thru window.  This would take too much time.

Some libraries have a shade to pull down when the window is closed.  Those
that added the shade later, were very happy to have had it as it has cut
down on people stopping at the window when it was closed.  Libraries also
have their hours posted in the window.

 During the COVID shut down, many of the libraries with drive up windows
opened up just for pick up at the window and this was very convenient.

Thanks,

Casey

--
Casey Branch, Customer Service Supervisor
Salem south Lyon District Library
cbranch at ssldl.info
http://www.ssldl.info