[Michlib-l] ICYMI: New equity and social justice principle added to ALA Code of Ethics

bellairelibrary at torchlake.com bellairelibrary at torchlake.com
Wed Aug 4 14:53:12 EDT 2021

For those interested, here is a really good article from Education
Weekly about Critical Race Theory:

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what-is-critical-race-theory-and-why-is-it-under-attack/2021/05

We should all be educated!

---
Cindi L. Place, MLIS
Director, Bellaire Public Library
bellairelibrary at torchlake.com
231-533-8814

On 2021-08-04 14:20, Bill Wines via Michlib-l wrote:

> I think I know what Marxism is, generally.  I have no idea what
> critical race theory is.  Did these have something to do with Dr. Seuss
> and Mr. Potato Head being cancelled?   /s
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 2:04 PM Amber Hughey via Michlib-l
> <michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:
>
> Fortunately, Karen, many of us do NOT agree with your far-right
> ideologies. We are not being forced into this. We are not being
> uncourageous because of what we believe in.
>
> We believe that libraries are a place of inclusion and diversity, and
> that unfortunately, work is needed to ensure that those are a
> cornerstone of being a public library. It should not be a leftist ideal
> to want to eradicate racism in our communities and libraries, and it
> should not be a leftist ideal to believe that libraries are a place of
> inclusion and diversity.
>
> I've seen your facebook page and the 'ideals' you spout. And in that, I
> am very grateful you don't work in my local public library.
>
> Amber L Hughey, MLIS
> She/Hers
> Director
> Bridgeport Public Library zv041
> 3399 Williamson
> Saginaw MI 48601
> 989-777-6030 ext 4
> On 08/03/2021 2:12 PM Karyn Ruley via Michlib-l <michlib-l at mcls.org>
> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I would like to remind everyone that the ALA has no authority over any
> library whatsoever. Just because they are moving to make libraries
> places of
> leftist activism, pushing ideologies stemming from Marxism and critical
> race
> theory, does not mean you have to as well.
>
> Start speaking up and having more courage about this. The parents in
> schools
> can do it. Where do you think the kids go AFTER school?
>
> Karyn Ruley
> Technology Administrator
>
> Crawford County Library
> 201 Plum St.
> Grayling, MI
> 49738
> Phone: 989-348-9214 ext.205
> Fax: 989-348-9294
> ----------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 09:28:09 -0400
> From: Kristin Fontichiaro <font at umich.edu>
> To: michlib-l at mcls.org
> Subject: [Michlib-l] ICYMI: New equity and social justice principle
> added to ALA Code of Ethics
>
> Hi, all --
>
> Announced a few days ago
> <https://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2021/07/ala-adopts-new-code-ethics-principle-racial-and-social-justice>,
> ALA has added a 9th principle to the ALA Code of Ethics
> <https://www.ala.org/tools/ethics>, reading:
>
> We affirm the inherent dignity and rights of every person. We work to
> recognize and dismantle systemic and individual biases; to confront
> [...]

Bill Wines
Circulation & Technical Services Manager
Commerce Township Community Library

  180 E. Commerce Rd.
Commerce Twp., MI 48382
Ph. 248.669.8108 ext.102

  		Fax 248.325.5047

The information contained in this electronic message is intended only
for the use of the designated recipient(s). If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
review, use, dissemination, forwarding or copying of this message is
strictly prohibited, and we request that you delete the original message
and all attachments.