[Michlib-l] New equity and social justice principle added to ALA Code of Ethics

Josh Rouan Josh.Rouan at baldwinlib.org
Thu Aug 5 08:54:56 EDT 2021

I am assuming that those of you who are concerned with the recent additions
to the ALA's Code of Ethics are actively engaged individual members of the
American Library Association, and that you participate in the democratic
voting process to choose the ALA Councilors who you feel best represent
your views on the ethics of librarianship. In that case, I would
respectfully suggest that your energies would be most appropriately spent
contacting the ALA Council directly, which is the voting body that adopted
the new Code.

I am certain your concerns would have their rapt attention.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 8:05 AM mweston dowagiacdl.org via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> I'd like to support Karyn Ruley's concerns about ALA's most recent
> addition to their Code of Ethics.  Reading through the first eight
> principles, and into the first sentence of the ninth, there is a sense of
> the universal and of the common humanity we share with ourselves and our
> patrons.  "...all library users", "...each library user's rights", and "...the
> inherent dignity and rights of every person", changes dramatically in tone
> with "dismantle systemic and individual biases" and "advance racial and
> social justice".
>
> Absolutely this is worthy of discussion, and this is the place for it.
>
> Matt Weston, Library Director
>
> Dowagiac District Library
>
> 211 Commercial St.
>
> Dowagiac, MI  49047-1728