[Michlib-l] New equity and social justice principle added to ALA Code of Ethics

Shelby Fox-Purrier-Rivera sfpr at commercelibrary.info
Thu Aug 5 13:46:00 EDT 2021

There are no both sides to human rights and dealing with oppression. If
worrying about protecting and advocating for our marginalized staff and
patrons seems like an agenda to you, then that's because you're fortunate
enough that those issues don't affect you. This shouldn't be an issue, this
should be seen as a long overdue addition to our code of ethics.

This thread is a perfect example of the cycle of outrage of our society,
where anything that changes even in the slightest to help those who have
been/are collectively harmed it's suddenly some sort of agenda. As if the
status quo, which has been perpetuated AT THEIR EXPENSE, isn't some agenda
on its own.

If this addition to the code of ethics bothers you, then I am frankly glad,
and I would hope it initiates some introspection about why looking out for
our peers is such a problem for you.

Shelby Fox-Purrier-Rivera (He/Him)
Teen Services Librarian
Commerce Township Community Library
248-669-8108 ext. 109

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 1:23 PM Kat Boyer via Michlib-l <michlib-l at mcls.org>
wrote:

> I agree with Matt.  I see only a concern with that part of the addition
> and echo Matt's concern.
>
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2021, 12:07 PM OJ Amber Mclain via Michlib-l <
> michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:
>
>> No, there is no "agenda." This ninth addition to the code of ethics falls
>> directly in line with EDI guidelines already set forth by the ALA,
>> supported by MLA, and library institutions across the country. The groups
>> singled out in this point are historically marginalized, their history has
>> been censored, and their intrinsic identities - who they are BORN AS - make
>> them targets for hate and abuse. Their very identities have been discussed
>> to death and who they are has been deemed as less than which is
>> unacceptable. This is not viewpoints and opinions. This is not about
>> beliefs. These are people. People that are out patrons. The aspect about
>> conduct is to prevent them from hateful conduct. I would be happy to
>> provide the supporting documentation and data for why this is important. I
>> recently did that research for Lakeland:
>>
>> Amber McLainLibrary Director, Patmos Library

The information contained in this electronic message is intended only for
the use of the designated recipient(s). If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use,
dissemination, forwarding or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited, and we request that you delete the original message and all
attachments.