[Michlib-l] Wellness Apps for Staff?

Tracy Aldrich taldrich at ruthhughes.org
Tue Aug 10 11:54:34 EDT 2021

Hi,

Several people asked if I would compile the answers to my question about
providing wellness apps like Calm or Headspace for staff, so here it is:

One library said it has purchased the Calm app, and although not everyone
uses it, those who do report really liking it. They also said it was
slightly cheaper than Headspace.

Another library is considering getting Calm, but with staff doing a $25
buy-in to keep the cost down and ensure they are only buying it for those
truly interested in using it.

A librarian said Headspace seems to get overall better online reviews than
Calm.

A librarian recommended the app 10% Happier, which she uses personally, for
the following reasons:
Lots of different people leading the meditations (Calm, for example, is
always led by Tamara Levitt)
Great courses with video and audio meditations.
"Talks" - short (less than ten minute) audio talks on topics like anxiety,
stress relief, grief, happiness, kindness
Dan Harris, the ABC news anchor who founded 10% Happier, is very relatable,
especially for people who are skeptical about meditation or think they are
bad at it.

And the State is providing a curated sample from Headspace for free to all
Michigan residents during the pandemic at https://www.headspace.com/mi.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

taldrich at ruthhughes.org