[Michlib-l] Al Capone & Gangsters in Michigan

lois-sez lois-sez at lois-sez.com
Thu Aug 12 18:22:39 EDT 2021

The Purple Gang worked out an arrangement with Capone letting him have the
southwest of the state and also supplying him.  Michigan provided 3/4 of
the smuggled alcohol during Prohibition.  (The Purple Gang even sent
someone to help with the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.)

  I do a Prohibition program, "High Times in Dry Times", personalizing it
for areas as much as possible.  I have to mention the problem with
gangsters, but do not make it the focus of my program, keeping it lighter.

 Contact the Historical Society of Michigan, https://hsmichigan.org/, for a
program resource.  They have one next week on gangsters of the '20s and
'30s, but the focus is up north and the presenter is from UC Berkeley.

LoiS(ongs and audience participation are in my program -- you seem to want
something more gritty)
 	 		 			 			Lois Sprengnether Keel
			https://www.lois-sez.com/
 			and blog at https://www.StorytellingResearchLois.com
			Storyteller in MI Arts & Humanities Directory
			and in Historical Society of Michigan Directory
			https://hsmichigan.org/resources/storytellers-speakers-performers/storyte
ller-lois-sprengnether-keel/
			State Liaison for National Storytelling Network
			Webmaster for https://michiganstorytelling.org/