[Michlib-l] Webinar Recording - COVID-19: Let's Talk Facts

Betty Adams badams at inksterlibrary.org
Thu Aug 26 14:57:33 EDT 2021

Hi all,

I wanted to address the definition of Herd Immunity, as the presentation
definition differs from what the search results for the term, as well as
all dictionaries I've checked. I also am sharing more information in
relation to the current circumstances.

The presentation/slide:
[image: image.png]

Mayo Clinic:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808

[image: image.png]

There are two items of information I'd like to share in regards to this
conversation, and why this slide in particular stood out to me.

The first came out from Dr. John Campbell, who holds degrees in Biology,
Science, a Master's in Health Science, and a research degree in Doctor of
Philosophy. He was a nurse, trained nurses, and taught medical students at
an academic level. He's been creating educational health based content
(primarily focusing on physiology and diseases of the body) for the
international stage since 1992. This is for informational and educational
purposes and not medical advice.

I share this with you, as these were more along the lines of questions that
I have as well. This video also explains in more scientific detail what
COVID is, how it compares to other coronaviruses, and the most recent
questions and studies being posed by leading professionals. The first 23
minutes are of primary interest, however, the remaining portion of the
presentation is very interesting and I'd love to see a presentation
similarly completed for Michigan. References for the first 23 minutes are
available below the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20DxL8KhvgA

This is an opinion piece written by Neurologist and neuroscientist Dr.
Michael Segal
<https://connect.childneurologysociety.org/network/members/profile?UserKey=6f43effd-c4f6-4a44-b4e0-28f725d6330e>.
I back tracked from the Wall Street Journal article, finding the article
below, as the original Op-Ed is half behind a paywall/sign in. It talks
about herd immunity and what scientists are finding with the "breakthrough"
cases, and that vaccines may not be the way to herd immunity due to the
structure of the coronavirus Delta variant we are facing, similar to the
research found in the video above.
Here's a full article about the WSJ article:
https://buzzbombmedia.com/2021/08/24/neuroscientist-exposes-why-vaccines-dont-work-to-achieve-herd-immunity/

Here's the WSJ Op-Ed for those who have access:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-herd-provincetown-mayo-delta-mask-mandate-vaccine-passport-cdc-mucosal-immunity-11629128219

NOTE: I am of the mindset that all information at this time is in flux,
especially around COVID-19, and therefore, we should be considering all
that is available to us and sharing what is available and up-to-date with
our communities. Labelling anything at this point as "misinformation" or
"disinformation" is doing a disservice to the practice of science, as
science works through theories and in order to test a theory it must be
questioned thoroughly in order to become law. Questioning or theorizing and
sharing findings is not spreading dis/misinformation. It is what every
single one of us is doing and has been doing since the start of COVID-19,
including the medical professionals. Given the CDC
<https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7034e1.htm?s_cid=mm7034e1_w> (91.7%
to 79.8% dependant on age), FDA
<https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-covid-19-vaccine>
 (91.3% -same since April 1,2021 when Pfizer
<https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2021/Pfizer-and-BioNTech-Confirm-High-Efficacy-and-No-Serious-Safety-Concerns-Through-Up-to-Six-Months-Following-Second-Dose-in-Updated-Topline-Analysis-of-Landmark-COVID-19-Vaccine-Study/default.aspx>released
their report from concluded studies in March 2021), and international news (
Israel
<https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-sees-drop-pfizer-vaccine-protection-against-infections-still-strong-2021-07-05/>
efficacy
fell to 64% since June) all are currently showing different efficacy rates
for vaccines and providing different studies to back them so discrepancies
in received information will occur and should be handled with an open mind.

As always, dig in the databases and resources we all fortunately have at
our fingertips to help make informed decisions and to help inform your
communities.

Be well,
Betty