[Michlib-l] Senior Centers in libraries

Paul McCann pmccann at dexter.lib.mi.us
Wed Dec 1 12:15:49 EST 2021

Hi everyone,

Does public library in Michigan host a full service senior center within their library and/or fund the senior center operations out of a library millage? Our local senior center is struggling to find a funding mechanism that provides a consistent. Because the City of Dexter is small and draws seniors from outside the City limits, the tax base is small and the service population is high. The group is currently a 501(c)3 and having difficulty with voluntary municipal funding and finding a way to obtain stable source of funding. I have tried contacting several agencies (Area on Aging, MDHHS, Office of Services for Aging) but am not finding much help on how senior centers could be run as governmental units with a steady stream of tax income. If anyone has any creative ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
Paul