[Michlib-l] Tecumseh District Library - Virtual Tour of the University of Michigan Museum of Art - Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Chuck Harpst charpst at tecumsehlibrary.org
Mon Dec 6 17:02:47 EST 2021

 Tecumseh District Library hosts Wish You Were Here at the University of Michigan Museum of Art (UMMA) on Wednesday afternoon, December 8, 2021, from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Zoom.

 Museums and similar collections worldwide face a shared and difficult challenge: the return and repatriation of objects to their communities and owners of origin. We are privileged this fall to enjoy a virtual tour of an exhibit at UMMA dedicated to this challenge. During the course of the public exhibition Wish You Were Here (August 21 through December 31, 2021), curators and researchers will investigate 11 African artworks of dubious origin in UMMA's collections, and grapple with issues of ethical ownership, provenance, and practical restitution. During our virtual visit, we will join those investigators on their journey as they share their progress through a living and growing Research Timeline. A primary objective of this project is to begin to address the injustices of colonialism while strengthening existing relationships and creating new ones with partners in Africa and its diaspora.

 Call 423-2238 to sign up for the presentation or register online at www.eventkeeper.com/code/ekform.cfm?curOrg=TECUMSEH&curMode=LOGOUT&curHelp=&curID=530054&tEvt=6746197.

 Tecumseh District Library invites all to this special event. The library is located at 215 North Ottawa Street. For additional information, call Chuck Harpst, Reference/Local History Librarian, at the library, 423-2238.  Library hours are Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday (October through April) 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. The library's web site can be accessed at http://www.tecumsehlibrary.org.