[Michlib-l] Program Policy digest

Kelly Rembert krembert at southfieldlibrary.org
Thu Dec 9 15:08:58 EST 2021

Hi,

In light of the recent increase in challenges to materials and programs, I asked about others program policies.  I got a few replys and here it is a digest for you.

Thanks,
Kelly

>From Grosse Pointe Public Library:

We have a link in our website with some guidelines and a brief form to complete.  Here’s the link:  https://grossepointelibrary.org/program-event-proposal-ideas

Then we meet once a month to discuss and determine which programs we want to pursue.

>From Bayliss Public Library:

For us, the primary factor we look at is, “Can we afford this?” If it passes that test, then usually we will either discuss as a programming committee or at least two of us (usually the manager and I) whether any of our patrons would really enjoy X program. I think it helps to really know your patrons. I don’t know anything about Southfield, and I don’t know how big the area is, but if you feel like you’re not too familiar with the folks you’re serving, I would suggest talking to circulation about who comes through. They will give you a great idea of who comes into the library and maybe even the programs they talk about.

As the programming coordinator, the most important thing to me when planning a program is whether it is beneficial to our patrons. Sometimes I think some librarians lose sight that ultimately they are serving the public and focus on what they like…but we have to keep in mind that we won’t always like what our patrons want, but we need to keep those biases aside – what they want takes priority.

>From Peter White Public Library:

I’ve been looking at these too. I was looking for a policy that also included a virtual programming section, thus the Long Beach, NY policy.

Attaching the policies I’ve found thus far…

https://cmpl.org/ServicePolicies/GSV-1-Library-Sponsored-and-Co-Sponsored-Programs-Policy.pdf

https://longbeachlibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Programming-Policy_May-2020.pdf

Kelly Ireland Rembert
Outreach Librarian