[Michlib-l] Protect Freedom Pledge

Lance Werner LWerner at kdl.org
Tue Dec 14 11:49:52 EST 2021

Good morning,

I hope you all are doing well and I wish you all happy holidays! I have been thinking about the dramatic increase in materials challenges.

I propose that we create a pledge to protect intellectual freedom and everyone in library land (especially directors) sign it and abide by it. I propose that we agree to deny any request to ban constitutionally protected materials that comes from a library board. Further, we should be willing to be fired for failure to comply. I also propose we support one another in all materials challenges and work identify ways we could support legal assistance associated with defending against materials challenges.

I propose that MLA, Library of Michigan, MCLS, and the Cooperative Directors draft the pledge and keep records of it. All new directors should sign it.

Who’s with me? We will all show up to fight for freedom and I also think we should consider supporting schools.

Love you all and let’s get it done.

Lance Werner
Director, Kent District Library
616-784-2007<tel:616-784-2007> // lwerner at kdl.org<mailto:lwerner at kdl.org>