[Michlib-l] Fwd: 👑Cover Reveal 👑 Antonio Michael Downing's SAGA BOY (please forgive cross-posting)

aldenlib at torchlake.com aldenlib at torchlake.com
Tue Feb 16 12:31:27 EST 2021

Hello all,

My friend and my daughter Sarah's bandmate, Antonio Michael Downing (aka
John Orpheus) of Ontario has released a touching and real memoir, _Saga
Boy,_ in Canada.

The self-titled band toured Michigan pre-COVID and played several
libraries, pubs, private and public events, including the 2018 and 2019
Harvest Festivals in Lake City. www.johnorpheus.com [1]

I just bought the Penguin Random House Canada edition for our library.
Sending this since some other libraries may be interested in the U.S.
edition, out soon!  See below.

Thanks,

---
_Susan Riegler_

Susan Riegler, Director

Alden District Library

231/331-4318

 		👑Cover Reveal 👑 Antonio Michael Downing's SAGA BOY

 		DATE:
 		2021-02-16 10:03

 		FROM:
 		"Milkweed Editions" <joanna_demkiewicz at milkweed.org>

 		TO:
 		aldenlib at torchlake.com

 		REPLY-TO:
 		joanna_demkiewicz at milkweed.org

Now Available For Preorder!

 [2]

👑 Cover Reveal 👑
Saga Boy: My Life of
Blackness and Becoming
Preorder now [3]!

 		 [4]

Forthcoming September 14, 2021
Paperback 🔸  $16.00 🔸 344 pages 🔸 ISBN 978-1-57131-191-7
Available for preorder from Source Booksellers [5]!
We are so excited to publish Antonio Michael Downing [6]'s memoir, _Saga
Boy: My Life of Blackness and Becoming [7]_, this September. Tracing
Downing's journey from the tropical forests of Trinidad to the stark
landscape of rural Canada, _Saga Boy [8]_ is a poignant memoir of
transformation. Downing explores the forces that fractured him as a
boy--colonialism, trauma, and violent separations--as well as the forces
that rebuilt him in all his kaleidoscopic glory, including music, art,
activism, writing. Head to our blog [9] to read an excerpt [10] from the
memoir and meet Miss Excelly, Downing's grandmother who was always
singing and whose voice, Downing writes [11], "perfumed the very air."
We are honored to partner with Downing's favorite local bookstore,
Source Booksellers [12], in Detroit. Preorder [13] your copy of _Saga
Boy [14]_ from Source today!

 		PREORDER NOW! [15]

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

 [16]

Antonio Michael Downing [17] is the author of _Saga Boy [18]_. He grew
up in southern Trinidad, northern Ontario, Brooklyn, and Kitchener. He
is a musician, writer, and activist based in Toronto. His debut novel,
_Molasses_, was published to critical acclaim. In 2017, he was named by
the RBC Taylor Prize as one of Canada's top emerging authors for
nonfiction. He performs and composes music as John Orpheus.

PRAISE FOR SAGA BOY

"Singularly dazzling, _Saga Boy [19]_ is a brilliant collage of the
twenty-first century's most incredible memoirs. Told with an
unforgettable and innovative pace, this a book I will reread forever."
--Kiese Laymon, author of _Heavy_

"A vibrant, evocative, and searing account of the lives of Black
immigrants. Downing helps us understand the rage and resilience of Black
boys--motherless, fatherless, itinerant--and the communities that
intervene to raise them. The triumph of _Saga Boy [20]_ is the triumph
of Blackness everywhere--the irrepressible instinct for survival in a
world where Blacks are prey."
--Ian Williams, author of _Reproduction_

"An emotionally captivating, heartbreaking read on one man's journey to
understand who he is, where he comes from and where he belongs. From
being the only Black family in Wabigoon to moving transformatively
through the music scene in the city, _Saga Boy  [21]_makes us all
question the strength of the ties that bind and where our future lies."
--Tanya Talaga, author of _Seven Fallen Feathers_ and _All Our
Relations_

 		PREORDER NOW! [22]

UPCOMING EVENT

Catch Antonio Michael Downing in conversation with musician and Kumbuka
host Kaylan Waterman about _Saga Boy: My Life of Blackness and Becoming_
this Saturday, February 20, 2021 [23] at 6 pm CST/7 pm EST [24].
Northwestern Michigan College Library and Title Track will host Downing
and Waterman for a conversation about how memory, family, and our
collective histories shape our identity.
This event, called "Blackness & Becoming," will feature a conversation
between Downing and Waterman, as well as an opportunity for audience
Q&A. Join the event via this Zoom link [25] (Webinar ID: 937 8598 5852).
We hope to see you there!

 		 [26]

MILKWEED EDITIONS
Community-Supported Literature
Milkweed Editions is an independent book publisher based in Minneapolis.
We publish a range of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry that introduces
readers to different ways of living in and seeing the world. We fulfill
our mission through our publishing program and through our independent
bookstore [27], which specializes in introducing readers to exciting
work from our fellow independent presses. Independent literature is made
possible by readers like you. Invest in the writers and books of
tomorrow with a donation to Milkweed today!

 		DONATE [28]

BOOKSTORE HOURS
In order to combat the spread of COVID-19, Milkweed Books is temporarily
closed. You can support our store in the meantime by placing a book
order by emailing bookstore at milkweed.org or purchasing books from our
Bookshop page [29]. Thanks!

 		 [30]
 		 [31]
 		 [32]

 		Share this email:

 		 [33]
 		 [34]
 		 [35]
 		 [36]

 Manage [37] your preferences | Opt out [38] using TrueRemove(tm)
Got this as a forward? Sign up [39] to receive our future emails.
View this email online [40].

 1011 South Washington Avenue Open Book, Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN | 55415 United States

 This email was sent to aldenlib at torchlake.com.
_To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book._

Links:
------
[1] http://www.johnorpheus.com
[2] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/g06l2v
[3] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/ws7l2v
[4] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/cl8l2v
[5] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/sd9l2v
[6] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/859l2v
[7] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/oyam2v
[8] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/4qbm2v
[9] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/kjcm2v
[10] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/0bdm2v
[11] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/g4dm2v
[12] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/wwem2v
[13] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/cpfm2v
[14] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/shgm2v
[15] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/89gm2v
[16] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/o2hm2v
[17] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/4uim2v
[18] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/knjm2v
[19] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/0fkm2v
[20] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/g8km2v
[21] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/w0lm2v
[22] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/ctmm2v
[23] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/slnm2v
[24] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/8dom2v
[25] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/o6om2v
[26] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/4ypm2v
[27] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/krqm2v
[28] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/0jrm2v
[29] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/gcsm2v
[30] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/w4sm2v
[31] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/cxtm2v
[32] https://t.e2ma.net/click/o6k3we/c92huah/spum2v
[33] https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/e/o6k3we/c92huah
[34] https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/t/o6k3we/c92huah
[35] https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/f/o6k3we/c92huah
[36] https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/l/o6k3we/c92huah
[37]
https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1787898/1752686/280183406/15271432814/?s=YSkM6WejWwsusx2t--jV5QXlIehB9fgGxHjAKva6yJw
[38]
https://t.e2ma.net/optout/o6k3we/c92huah?s=DX24lkR6lRhzC7LYyxhQdArnE9pMYDgwX5atLlEEdcg&r=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcHAuZTJtYS5uZXQvYXBwMi9hdWRpZW5jZS9vcHRfb3V0LzE3ODc4OTgvMTc1MjY4Ni8xNTI3MTQzMjgxNC8_cz00T3kwRnJkcmtNam5GYzFnSm5qX0ZnYS14M3Q0R0pvdXRkeU1xNXNuUk5V
[39]
https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1787898/1752686.280183406/
[40] https://t.e2ma.net/message/o6k3we/c92huah