[Michlib-l] Library Led Community Responses to Big Artificial Intelligence - Webinar Friday, Jan 29 at 11 am ET

White, Shannon (MDE) WhiteS29 at michigan.gov
Tue Jan 26 10:44:09 EST 2021

Boon or scourge? Whither A.I.?
Join in on Friday, Jan.29 at 11am ET for a dive into this vast, complex and critically important topic.

Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/part-35-libraries-respond-to-big-ai-tickets-138327482223

Recommended advance materials:
*       "The Social Dilemma" -Netflix Documentary
*       ULC Brief: Libraries Leading AI and Digital Citizenship<https://www.urbanlibraries.org/files/AI_Leadership-Brief.pdf>
*       Glia.net - Exploring Libraries as Digital Fiduciaries

"AI is happening faster than most people think and the public is not adequately prepared for it. Everything we do will somehow be impacted by AI. The public library in our teaching role can play a very important part in preparing the public for what lies ahead." - Monique de Conge Zeisenhenne, Former Director Palo Alto City Library

Speakers:

Pam Ryan, Service Development and Innovation, Toronto Public Library
"TPL's Digital Privacy Initiative focuses on giving individuals the knowledge and confidence they need to navigate digital spaces without compromising their privacy and security."

Richard Whitt, Fellow in Residence at Mozilla Foundation and President Glia Foundation
"Dry cleaners and parking garage attendants owe us a more formal obligation to care for our entrusted possessions, than most online companies are willing to recognize towards our personal data."

R. David Lankes, Director University of South Carolina iSchool
"Public libraries should be steward of public data. If we are going to allow our governments and our businesses to harvest data then we need to ensure our communities have a strong say in how that happens and trust in those that make the decisions. Right now, libraries have a stronger level of trust than Apple, Google, Facebook, and most elected governments."

Session Sponsor: Washington D.C. Chapter of the Internet Society

For additional information about these webinar sessions visit the Gigabit Libraries Pandemic Response page http://giglibraries.net/page-1712339 Archives of the previous webinars can be found there as well.

Shannon White
Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo, Lansing, MI 48909
Whites29 at michigan.gov<mailto:Whites29 at michigan.gov>  517-335-1507 | www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan<http://www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan>