[Michlib-l] Collection Development Tools

Sharon Crotser-Toy scrotsertoy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 14:59:42 EST 2021

Many thanks for all of the great responses to my request!

Compiled, below:

Booktube, Bookriot, Penguin, Bookbub, are just a few that I use.

BookPage, reviews in B & T, my own listening to podcasts and news
interviews (I order NF), B & T selection lists, Amazon and Goodreads
reviews (if I'm on the fence, I'll read a few, see what people do and don't
like about it), our own catalog - what else do we have by this author and
how popular have his/her books been, our libraries' New NF lists (CADL's is
especially good), "best of" lists online (best science books of 2020, for
example) . . . really, my eyes and ears are always open to what's trending
in non-fiction.

Emery Pratt offers the CHOICE outstanding academic titles for the current
year (2020) through their website. I like the Kirkus Reviews newsletter
too. HTH and I hope you share the responses to your question, I can always
use more CD resources too!

Earlyword.com, Library Reads, Bookpage and Library Journal. Also Amazon Top
Picks and Amazon reviews and NYT Bestsellers and Goodreads has reviews
also. Since we don’t have a huge budget by the time I go through those and
the requests we are pretty much set.

The Earlyword website also has a great overview of all the Award Winners
from every year.

! am in charge of youth collections and I generally use the publications we
subscribe to (Kirkus, LJ, SLJ, PW) and I participate in a lot of free
Booklist webinars. Additionally I subscribe to  Book Riot and I'm in the
Caldecott/Newbery groups on GoodReads. I also review the monthly new
releases on the Baker & Taylor calendar and use their other publications as
well.

For popular fiction I have been using www.fantasticfiction.com.

 Thanks so much for your time and inspiration!
-Sharon

--
Sharon Crotser-Toy
Director

Connects People, Inspires Ideas, Transforms Lives