[Michlib-l] Leap into Science - join the Michigan Cohort of this national network for science & literacy!

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Mon Jul 12 09:39:24 EDT 2021

Hello!

The Detroit Zoological Society<https://detroitzoo.org/about/your-detroit-zoo/>, the Library of Michigan<https://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/>, and the Michigan Afterschool Partnership <https://www.miafterschool.org/> are excited to announce Leap into Science training opportunities for public libraries and afterschool partners.

Participating public libraries and afterschool program partners will receive support to purchase materials you need to run a "Light & Shadow" based STEM program. Registration will be limited, so be sure to complete this interest form<https://forms.gle/zaRoh8AJmQSaYut68> by end of day, Friday, August 13th, for a chance to be selected.

Leap into Science<http://leap.fi.edu/> is a nationwide program developed by The Franklin Institute Science Museum<http://www.fi.edu/> that integrates open-ended science activities with children's books, designed for children ages 3-10 and their families. The program empowers educators to offer workshops in community settings like libraries, museums, and out-of-school time programs to engage underserved audiences in accessible and familiar settings.  Registering for and attending this training makes you a Partner Organization in our Michigan Cohort.

As a Leap into Science partner organization, you are committing to:

  *   Scheduling and leading at least three (3) Leap into Science virtual or in-person workshops for children and families by end of May 2022.
  *   Posting each of your organization's workshops to The Connectory<https://theconnectory.org/>, a searchable directory for STEM programs across the country.
  *   Leading Leap into Science activities during National Leap into Science Week (February 21-26, 2022)
  *   Completing a workshop report following each workshop your organization hosts.
  *   Participating in quarterly virtual check-in calls with other trained educators in your state.

Each organization who participates in Leap into Science will receive:

  *   A virtual training on high-quality science and literacy curriculum and facilitation strategies for 1-2 educators from your organization.
  *   Ongoing support during program implementation as part of a Leap into Science National Network.
  *   Access to the national Leap into Science leadership team and online resources.
  *   A curriculum toolkit and funding for materials.
  *   Opportunity to network and collaborate with out-of-school-time organizations in your region.

Registration for accepted organizations will open by August 23rd and run through September 10th. A registration link will be sent to organizations that have completed the interest form <https://forms.gle/zaRoh8AJmQSaYut68> and are selected for the training.

Partner organizations will need to attend one (1) of the following two-hour virtual trainings LIVE, preferably for the designated region in which they work (or closest to their region); plus the three (3) cohort virtual check-in calls listed:

  *   Wednesday, October 6,  10:00 AM-12:00 PM (Northern MI/U.P.)
  *   Tuesday, October 12, 10:00 AM-12:00 PM (Southwest & Mid MI)
  *   Wednesday, October 20, 1:00 PM-3:00 PM (Southeast MI)
  *   MI Cohort Virtual Check-in Calls:
     *   Monday, December 6th, 10:00 AM-11:00 AM
     *   Monday, February 7th, 10:00 AM-11:00 AM
     *   Monday, May 2nd, 10:00 AM-11:00 AM

Leap into Science is funded by the National Science Foundation, and led by The Franklin Institute<https://www.fi.edu/>.  Visit the Leap into Science website, http://leap.fi.edu/, for more information about this program.

Frequently Ask Questions:

  *   Do I really need 2 people from my organization to participate?

Answer: Ideally, yes. Please try to find someone who can attend with you; this could be someone else in your library system, Friends of the Library, or a community partner from a daycare, afterschool location, or local museum.  The goal is to have more than one person at your library/in your community who is familiar with the program.  You will receive funds for materials; if you leave your organization, we want someone else at your organization who will still utilize the materials.  HOWEVER, we realize that some communities are so small that it's just not realistic.  If that's the case, you can attend alone and we will work to pair you with someone in your region!

  *   I'd like to sign up more than 2 people in my organization. May I?

Answer: If this is something your organization would like to do, please Contact me at LancasterC5 at Michigan.gov<mailto:LancasterC5 at Michigan.gov> I will assess whether there is enough space in the training.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Meanwhile, please complete the interest form<https://forms.gle/zaRoh8AJmQSaYut68>.

Thank you,
Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48915
My Pronouns: She/Her - See www.mypronouns.org<http://www.mypronouns.org/> to learn more.
LancasterC5 at michigan.gov<mailto:LancasterC5 at michigan.gov> | 517-335-8129 | www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan<http://www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan>
Follow us: Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/libraryofmichigan/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/libraryofmich> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/libraryofmichigan/>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D77701.C9FE7C50]
Check with your local public library for details on their summer library program!