[Michlib-l] Forwarding on behalf of: Ciara Linden-See contact info at the end of their message

Wartella, Becky (MDE) WartellaB at michigan.gov
Thu Jul 15 14:10:36 EDT 2021

Subj: 1980s Communist Chinese Propaganda Poster Donation

Hello, I am looking to donate 17 Chinese Propaganda Posters to any organization that can use them for educational or historical archival purposes.

I have attached a PDF with a photo overview and (rough) translations of some of the messages.

These were created by the Communist Party of China (as far as I know), printed in the early 1980s and purchased by my family from China in 1985 from a bookseller. At the time of purchase, they were available to support the current government.  As you can see, they are lovely and artistic, and mostly appear to be aimed towards the younger generation, preparing them to "serve the motherland". History has shown that regime to be extremely controversial.

As far as I researched (I'm no expert!), when Chinese governments change, they collect and destroy all of the previous regime's propaganda. So, the majority of unsold or publicly displayed posters from this time period were either destroyed, or survived privately as Chinese pop art in personal collections -- but reprints or resale in China are not typically available.

Please reach out to me if your library or educational institution would benefit from some or all of these posters.

If you are in the Detroit area, I would be happy to drop them off. If you are elsewhere, I can mail them. This donation will be of no cost to you.

Thank you!

Contact:
Ciara Linden
ciarastella at gmail.com<mailto:ciarastella at gmail.com>
734-330-5765
Detroit, MI

Thank you,
Becky Wartella
Department Technician
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48909

Are you, or do you know, a certified teacher wanting to get back to the classroom?
We can help streamline the path back. Please click here<https://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7-140-5683_14795_83462-556448--,00.html>.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D77982.2F265670]