[Michlib-l] Card Applications

Steven K. Bowers sbowers at tln.lib.mi.us
Tue Jun 8 09:00:50 EDT 2021

Hi Katherine,

The Library Network shared system users group (about 50 public libraries) recently decided to remove gender from our patron records/forms. We hear input from several individuals, including an someone who is non-binary who expressed that there is no complete list that can be created. Most libraries had no need for collecting the data and it was pointed out that the only other demographic information that is collected on some of our library applications is birthdate (which may come up for discussion at a later date). Personal demographics are generally not collected and not needed for offering library services.

Hope that helps,

-Steve

Steven K. Bowers
Executive Director