[Michlib-l] PressReader Newspapers Only Subscriptions For Public Libraries: Status

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Wed Mar 3 14:09:10 EST 2021

All,

In Spring, 2020 a number of public libraries across the state worked through TLN via RBdigital to begin new subscriptions to the Newspapers only version of PressReader [ https://www.pressreader.com/catalog | https://www.pressreader.com/catalog ] Those subscriptions expire May 1, 2021 and with OverDrive's purchase of RBdigital and subsequent decision to not offer PressReader, I wanted to provide you with an update as to the status of where we are with that service.

As per the link, PressReader has an extensive catalog of Magazines and Newspapers. We had the Newspapers only version of PressReader through RBdigital. Our rationale for that was that because so many libraries subscribed to RBdigital Magazines through TLN (163 libraries) the Magazines in PressReader would constitute a duplication of content, effort, and cost. Hence, PressReader Newspapers only. When we learned OverDrive was not planning to be a distributor for PressReader, perhaps because they didn't want PressReader Magazines to compete with and duplicate OverDrive Magazines, we began to search for an alternative.

There are two "mainstream" distributors of PressReader for libraries I am aware of. One is Baker & Taylor. The other is ProQuest.

In talking with Baker & Taylor they either were not willing or not able, unsure as to which, to sell us the Newspapers only version of PressReader.

I have a dialogue currently open with ProQuest for PressReader Newspapers. I don't know where if anywhere that is going to lead.

Finally, I also reached out to the sales rep for public libraries at PressReader. He has yet to respond to my query.

Several current PressReader Newspaper subscribing libraries I spoke with reported fairly low usage of the product, saying they would not renew PressReader Newspapers even if given the opportunity to do so. However, some current subscribers are interested in a possible renewal of PressReader Newspapers.

I don't see the value of our pursuing the full Magazines and Newspapers version of PressReader. The preliminary pricing I was given from Baker & Taylor was expensive and again, the Magazines mostly just duplicate the content libraries already have with OverDrive Magazines.

I will update the listservs when I have additional PressReader information to share. In the meantime if you are a current PressReader subscriber and you know for certain that you want to renew, I would encourage you to reach out to Baker & Taylor, to ProQuest, or to PressReader. I don't want to see an interruption of service take place for any current PressReader subscribing library that is planning to renew the service.

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning PressReader Newspapers.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager