[Michlib-l] Compiled Responses to My Request for Guidelines for Quarantining Returned Items

Anne Oyerly oyerly at andrews.edu
Mon Mar 15 17:40:33 EDT 2021

Thank you for your responses to my request last month: “Could someone please point me to current guidelines for quarantining returned items?”

I apologize for the delay in posting the compiled results. This is the first time I’ve done this and it was a learning curve. 😊

  1.  10 libraries responded.

  1.  Five libraries replied that they use the REALM study from OCLC, and most thoughtfully supplied a link. https://www.oclc.org/realm/home.html

One of these reported they had started with 3 days quarantine, then upped it to 4 days.

  1.  One library replied they quarantine everything for one week, just because it feels safer.

  1.  Two libraries quarantine for 96 hours; one isolates materials that arrive at the library in a single study room.

The other would like to reduce quarantine to one day.

  1.  Three libraries quarantine for 72 hours.
  2.  One library quarantines for 24 hours.
  3.  Two did not provide a length of time.

  1.  Some libraries mentioned other interesting practices.
     *   We wrap our book drop bins with aluminum foil. In the morning, items get sealed up together (we wear gloves), and the stack gets wrapped up “like leftovers”.  Each morning, we repeat the process. We started at 5 days quarantine, and have reduced it to 24 hours, based on newer information, including a low likelihood of viral transference from book-type materials. (This practice is based on Covid surviving the shortest time period on aluminum; a link to a study was provided https://www.aluminum.org/sites/default/files/Coronavirus%20on%20Aluminum%20Surfaces%20050420.pdf
     *   Books that are used inside the library are not quarantined, since they are not sitting in someone’s home, with the possibility of multiple people touching them for weeks at a time. Patrons are asked to sanitize their hand before going into the stacks.
     *   Items returned via delivery services are not quarantined, as they have been in closed containers, and most likely were quarantined at their home library as well. Only books coming through book returns are quarantined.
     *   One library wipes all items having a plastic or vinyl covering with a sanitizing cloth before reshelving. No other mentioned this process.

  1.  Others provided resources and insight.
     *   For some good resources, check out TLN’s website:  https://tln.lib.mi.us/covid/
     *   Share by a patron “I heard this talk by Emmanual Goldman about transmission of Covid-19 on surfaces. He specifically talks about transmission on books and said most of the available data suggests about 1 say would be sufficient rather than 3 or 4. He gets to the point toward the last 10 minutes.”
     *   Two large libraries were mentioned as having stepped down to one day quarantine, or possibly none at all.
     *   Most likely we will stay at one day because it makes folks who are very anxious feel better, staff and patrons both.
     *   We discussed different time periods for some items, based on the REALM study, but decided it would be too confusing for both staff and patrons.

  1.  The Library of Michigan gave a very helpful and informative reply:
     *   There is not a directive from the Library of Michigan about time for quarantine. There are a slew of resources you can review and make a decision at your library. Libraries across the country are using a very wide variety of times for quarantine at this point.

                                                    i.     We have told folks the following: The Library of Michigan recommends that libraries review the information on this topic and make a decision based on what is currently available from a variety of sources as well as what you feel comfortable with for your library and staff during this time. We have been in contact with the MDHHS regarding this topic and they have not provided us with any formal guidance and we don’t believe they are going to follow up with additional information. We have tried multiple times to get more current information.

     *   Some other information out there we have shared:

                                                    i.     Newer advice has been coming out from other states with information they have received from their own state DHHS agencies in their respective states. We have tried to get the MDHHS for updated info like this as well but have not had luck and it’s hard to get their attention but they have a lot going on as you know. Below are links to other state libraries guidance documents that have been created based on their ability to get a direct answer from their state health department.

           *   Updated Advice on Handling Library Materials from Oregon State Library - new guidance from October of this year regarding quarantine times from the Oregon State Library
           *   Recommended Materials Quarantine Time Reduced from Wisconsin State Library - updated guidance for Wisconsin libraries from WI State Library
           *   There is the REALM Project like Julie mentioned.
           *   MLA has their own recommendations here https://mla.memberclicks.net/assets/images/Give%20it%20time.jpg

  1.  One comment that got my attention and summed everything up for me is as follows: “There are not any guidelines—just the REALM study. Everyone is doing their own interpretation in regards to quarantining. Many have stopped the quarantine altogether. Some have gone to a day, and some are still at a week and everything in between.” (That made me feel much better about our own quarantine practices, which don’t make a lot of sense to me.  But it isn’t my circus. 😊).

  1.  Lastly, there were some interesting questions asked.
     *   Are other libraries sanitizing vinyl and plastic covered materials?
     *   What does your library do with backlogged materials?
     *   What is your current timeframe/quarantine strategy?

Thanks to each of you who have been a part of this discussion.

Anne E. Oyerly
Special Collections Manager and Facilities Coordinator
James White Library
4190 Administration Drive
Andrews University, MI 49104-1400
(269) 471-6117