[Michlib-l] Call numbers & labeling for music CDs

Don Priest dpriest at southgate.lib.mi.us
Tue Mar 30 17:55:20 EDT 2021

I'd like to pick some brains on managing our music CD collection. We've got thousands of them, and they're only broken up by genre and artist/band first letter (example: Metallica is under Rock/Pop M, as is Megadeth, John Mellencamp, etc). They're labelled the same, and only on the front of the CD case, so the collection is a pain to search through. The call number isn't necessarily a problem, I just need to figure out how to label everything in a way that makes our music more accessible. So, what I'd like to know is

1. What labels do you place on your music CDs that make them easy to find?
2. Do those labels exactly match the call number? (I'm considering abbreviating labels to keep them short and uniform, but I'd like to retain the descriptiveness of call numbers).

I appreciate any and all ideas and suggestions, and, if there's interest, I'll share the compiled answers.

Donald Priest
Director
Southgate Veterans Memorial Library
14680 Dix-Toledo Rd.