[Michlib-l] Call numbers & labeling for music CDs

Jake Rynicki jrynicki at romuluslibrary.org
Wed Mar 31 11:02:18 EDT 2021

Hey Don, its Jake here at Romulus (not State Farm lol) our collection is relatively small (about 6 shelves of CDs). We just don't get people taking out music that much. So take everything with a nice heaping pinch of salt. However, we label the top left of the CD cover and the side. For example, a cover label for a Katy Perry CD would say:

CD
POP/ROCK
PERRY

and on the side we have CD PER (2 lines).

When the pages shelve them back they can see the front label with genre. The sections are marked for patrons and they would simply search by looking for Perry in the Pop Section. So they see CD PER. It works for our library. Some may hate the two label system but our section is never in disarray. Patrons find them with ease and pages shelve them with ease. We label our music sections so patrons can look by genre then look for artist name with call number. The sections we have our Classical, Country, Easy Listening, Folk, Holiday, Jazz, Pop/Rock, Rap/R&B, Religious, and Soundtrack.

Lastly, depending on the cases you use for CDs it can limit how much you put on the call number. I find with a CD the first 3 letters of artist name are still large enough for anyone to read.

You could also implement what Melvindale use to do. I worked there before Romulus. They used the color tape at the top of the side to denote genre. Each genre had a color and they simply put musician name on call number. Red was classical, blue was jazz, white was country, and so on. Two years I've been at Romulus and I can still see that tape lol. I would not go with it myself because it wears over time and peels off. Just thought I'd mention that system as well.

Best luck!

Jake Rynicki
Head of Adult Services and Outreach
Romulus Public Library