[Michlib-l] Compiling a core collection

Shel Plews mplews at loutitlibrary.org
Tue May 18 10:32:19 EDT 2021

Hello Deb,

A co-worker passed your request for tips along to me, since I do the DVD
buying for our library. One of the things I have done is to check Academy
Award winning films over the years and try to get all of those who won Best
Picture. In more recent years I try to buy all of the nominees in every
category as well. Some of the internet sites offering free reviews may also
have lists of recommended genres, depending on the needs and wants of your
community. After some years of checking circulation and paying attention to
patron requests I have developed a sense of what will circulate in our
community.  The sites I use the most are Rottentomatoes, Common Sense Media
and IMDb (Internet Movie Database). I hope this is helpful and please feel
free to contact me.

Thank-you,
Shel

<http://loutitlibrary.org/>

Shel Plews

Library Assistant I / Cataloging

she/her (what’s this? <https://www.mypronouns.org/>)

616.850.6926 | loutitlibrary.org

407 Columbus Ave. Grand Haven, MI 49417

Expanding Horizons. Enriching Minds. Engaging Community.
<https://www.facebook.com/LoutitDistrictLibrary/>
<https://www.instagram.com/loutitlibrary/>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJGvakceRtYoYlJabcxzAcw>