[Michlib-l] Neutrality-to-equity conversation today at noon!

Kristin Fontichiaro font at umich.edu
Tue May 25 08:00:00 EDT 2021

Hello! A gentle reminder that our conversation on shifting from library
neutrality to equity will be today at noon. It's not too late to register!
See original invite below.

===================

Dear Colleagues --

“If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you
are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” - Desmond Tutu

Join us May 25 at noon on Zoom for a thoughtful peer discussion about
shifting from library “neutrality” to equitable library services.

The past few weeks have brought a lively discussion about libraries as
“neutral” spaces and the role libraries can and should play in equitizing
outcomes for all of their patrons. Many of us have been in private
conversations about this topic and revealed a hunger for further discussion
on this issue. If you have been wrestling with this issue and discovering a
nagging voice that is saying, “If we stay neutral, we maintain the status
quo, and that means some are left out,” we have been, too.

If we are committed, as the ALA Code of Ethics states, to “equitable
service policies” and “equitable access,” is that mission accomplished or a
call to do more? Does our call to have balanced collections really mean
taking no stance on any issue? Don’t libraries have a history of
neutrality, or a legacy of changing our practices over time to be more
inclusive of genres, people with special needs, the very young, senior
citizens, those in need of social services, and others? To what extent does
our profession have a political legacy as well (e.g., Connecticut 5 and the
PATRIOT Act, ALA maintaining a lobbying arm, Legislative Days, advocacy for
literacy initiatives)? Though we have limitations on our activities as
outlined by law in our role as government agencies or non-profit
organizations, is posting a celebration of BIPOC voices on social media
really a verboten act? And regardless of how we interpret the profession’s
past stances on neutrality, is it the future we want for libraries?

Please note that this will not be a formal presentation, a toolkit, or a
series of easy fixes. It’s an initial conversation rooted in the conviction
that equity is worth fighting for. Please join us in thinking deeply,
finding fellow travelers, and considering next steps. As a wise man once
suggested to one of us, it is a chance to “search for the truth with love.”

You can register for this free event, see our discussion guidelines, and
learn more about how you can read up on neutrality prior to our
conversation at
https://umich.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIkdu6pqDIrGdYZEpVVF5o8yZCtmzi9ytTG

 . This event will **not** be recorded.

Kristin Fontichiaro, University of Michigan School of Information

Kristin Shelley, East Lansing Public Library

Catherine Lucas, Willard Library

--
Kristin Fontichiaro
4427 North Quad