[Michlib-l] Library Parking Requirements

Dan Hutchins danthutchins at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 16:04:01 EDT 2021

Greetings,I’m dealing with a rather unusual problem for which there does not seem to be a specific answer, at least not that I may find.
VBDL is a district library where our local municipalities provide our facilities, and the library district staffs, stocks, and equips the provided facilities. One of our library branches shares a parcel of land with another building which is not currently occupied. Both the library branch building and the unoccupied building, which used to be a bank branch, are owned by the local municipality. The local municipality has decided they would like to sell the old bank branch. The problem is both buildings share a single parking lot. If the old bank branch were to be sold, the lot would need to be subdivided. The VBDL branch library is 5,500 square feet with a total staff of five individuals. There are only seven parking spaces adjacent to the library branch, the remining 14 spaces are adjacent to the old bank branch. The municipality does not seem concerned that subdividing the lot would leave the library branch with only seven spaces. I went to a meeting of the Township council and they seem to think that the lack of patron traffic, which is due to the pandemic, indicates the library needs only seven spaces total. They also suggested library patrons may park in the street.
I may find no state of Michigan law or standard that prescribes how much parking is required for public libraries, by square footage or occupancy. Further, the local municipality has no ordinance or zoning standard specific to libraries and museums. The parking standards for libraries I may find for other municipalities in Michigan vary considerably. I’m looking for something specific to the state of Michigan that defines minimally how much parking  is required for public libraries. Recently MIOSHA, for purposes of the pandemic, have grouped libraries and museums in with retail, so I suspect it may be appropriate to consider libraries as retail spaces for zoning purposes, if not otherwise specified.
Thank you for your help.
Dan Hutchins
Director
Van Buren District Library