[Michlib-l] Ancestry Library Edition Remote Access ENDS December 31, 2021

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Thu Nov 4 09:04:03 EDT 2021

All,

Per the below ProQuest update, remote access to the Ancestry Library Edition (ALE) database will no longer be available after December 31, 2021 .

Please review the information in the linked article to assist in your library's transition from the current remote access and in-library access of ALE, back to in-library only access of ALE beginning January 1, 2022.

[ https://support.proquest.com/articledetail?id=kA13r0000003VNdCAM | https://support.proquest.com/articledetail?id=kA13r0000003VNdCAM ]

Not long after remote access to ALE was rolled out in March, 2020 I had a conversation with my contact at ProQuest, during which I asked if consideration could be given to offering ALE access on two separate levels, one in-library access only and another of in-library AND remote access. He told me they had been talking about that possibility internally. He also said that if they decided to go in that direction, that an in-library and remote access version of ALE would need to be priced higher than an in-library only version of ALE. That conversation took place a long while ago. As long ALE remote access was available, and being extended for multiple month intervals, the point was somewhat moot and I did not pursue it further.

Until today.

In the spirit of "questions that are not asked, are not answered", I reached out to ProQuest earlier today to ask if further consideration had been given to offering a in-library/remote access combo version of ALE. They confirmed that discussions along these lines had indeed taken place, but that Ancestry made what ProQuest called a business decision to not offer a permanent remote access model for ALE to libraries for these two reasons:

1. Doing so would compete with HeritageQuest, which does offer remote access.
2. Doing so would compete with the consumer version of ALE, which does offer remote access.

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning the December 31, 2021 cessation of remote access to the Ancestry Library Edition (ALE) database.

Thank you,

Jim Flury

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager