[Michlib-l] [all-tln] Challenged/Banned Books

Klaudia Janek kjanek at bloomfield.org
Fri Nov 19 12:37:39 EST 2021

It is happening here in Michigan.  There are several groups and the one
that seems to be most prominent is called Moms for Liberty.  They are
passing around lists of books to bring up at board meetings.  Some of the
people are the same people who came into board meetings about masking, then
CRT, now school library books.  I think next on the list will be
misunderstandings about SEL (social, emotional, learning programs).  There
is a lot of language about how schools are brainwashing students with
leftist, communist propaganda and pornography.  I have a few school
librarian friends who are currently going through this.  I just don't want
to name them in a public forum without their consent.  They can jump in if
they want.

I think that there are some school libraries that have been operating
without librarians and budgets for years....they do not have the newer
books listed on the "sheet".  I also think that if the books are somehow in
an unstaffed library, an administrator can just walk in and take anything
off the shelf.  No one would ever know.

But we are already at breaking points in schools.  Everyone is subbing or
schools are going virtual because of staff shortages.  To add book
challenges to this list that consist of not just one book, but hundreds, is
completely overwhelming to have to think about or deal with.  :(  It's not
good.

Klaudia

Klaudia Janek, MLIS

*School Librarian*

*IB Extended Essay Coordinator*

*Michigan Association for Media in Education - 2018 Past President*

*2019-2020 AASL Presidential Task Force - Equity, Diversity & Inclusion*

248 341 5925

https://libresbooksmi.blogspot.com/

*International Academy*

www.iatoday.org <http://www.iatoday.org>