[Michlib-l] Adult library assitants/paraprofessionals

Karin Boughey kboughey at milfordlibrary.info
Tue Nov 23 17:09:57 EST 2021

I will possibly be hiring a library assistant/paraprofessional for the
first time in adult services. Currently all adult staff are degreed
librarians and we do everything from collection development to reference
desk service to outreach to programming to marketing to displays.

If you manage and/or are currently a library paraprofessional without a
library degree, what duties are assigned on a regular basis? What duties
are solely left up to professional staff members?

I understand that every situation is different, from small libraries run
primarily by non-MLIS staff to library assistants in larger libraries with
specific but limited duties.

Thanks for any information. You can contact me off list if preferred.

--

Karin Boughey
Head of Adult Services