[Michlib-l] Libraries with Art Galleries - policy and complaints

Andrea Ingmire aing at pwpl.info
Thu Oct 7 12:49:18 EDT 2021

I'm curious about what policies other libraries have about their art gallery spaces.

Do you have an official art gallery policy? (will you share it with me?)
How do you cover what can/cannot be on display?
What do you do in the event of a complaint? Do you handle this in the same manner as your material request for reconsideration?

Backstory:
One gallery is right outside of our Youth Services Department and I received a phone call from a concerned parent regarding a painting on display. It is a side lying woman who is nude, but it's very abstract. A shadowy outline, you see a lot 'more' at the beach if you know what I mean...
I don't feel that it is in appropriate for display, even in that gallery space. And, she wasn't really interested in making a big deal of it.

However, this did make me think that we should probably have a policy in place and some kind of process to follow.

I'm grateful for anything you all could share!

Thanks all!
Andrea
[logo-blue -building]
Andrea Ingmire