[Michlib-l] U.P. Speaker

Victor R. Volkman victor at LHPress.com
Fri Oct 15 10:02:17 EDT 2021

I would recommend U.P. author Mikel B. Classen, you can reach him at
Mikel Classen <classenmikel at gmail.com>.   He is based in the Soo right
now but travels extensively for events.  He can speak on many topics
including but not limited to lighthouses, shipwrecks, natural areas and
recreation, the history of mining and timber, ghost towns, organized
crime in the U.P., and the forgotten history of the U.P., just to name a
few ideas.

His book Points North won a Historical Society of Michigan Award
https://www.amazon.com/Points-North-Campgrounds-Waterways-Peninsula/dp/1615994904

Mikel B. Classen has been writing and photographing northern Michigan in
newspapers and magazines for over thirty-five years, creating feature
articles about the life and culture of Michigan’s north country. A
journalist, historian, photographer and author with a fascination of the
world around him, he enjoys researching and writing about lost stories
from the past. Currently he is managing editor of the U.P. Reader and is
a member of the Board of Directors for the Upper Peninsula Publishers
and Authors Association. In 2020, Mikel won the Historical Society of
Michigan’s, George Follo Award for Upper Peninsula History.

https://mikelbclassen.com/about/

On 10/15/2021 9:45 AM, Anna Merritt via Michlib-l wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Looking for a speaker/performer who specializes in Michigan’s U.P.
> History. Any names or suggestions would be great!
>
> *Anna Merritt*
>
> Assistant Director
>
> Richland Community Library
>
> 8951 Park Street