[Michlib-l] Comic Studies & Practices Symposium: CFP

Katie Greer greer at oakland.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:30:16 EDT 2021

The University of San Diego’s Copley Library invites proposals for our
inaugural Comic Studies & Practices Symposium (CSPS) to be held mid-July
2022 on the beautiful USD campus in San Diego, California.

CSPS is designed to complement existing conference offerings like Comic
Conference for Educators and Librarians (CCEL) by providing a higher
education-focused space for approximately 150 LIS professionals, scholars,
& graduate students to discuss comics studies and practice. Due to generous
funding from the SCELC Project Initiatives Fund (SPIF), registration fees
will be no more than $50 for general attendees. Accepted presenters will
receive a special discounted registration code.

We welcome proposals addressing, but not limited to:
~Collections (management, acquisitions, etc.)
~Academic & Pleasure Uses of Comics/Comic Studies (teaching, comics in pop
culture, derivative use of comic characters, etc.)
~Cataloging/Technical Services (subject analysis, metadata, discovery, etc.)
~Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (representation, critical
analysis, etc.)
~Archival or historical comic studies (representation, collections, etc.)

**We’re using comics & comics studies to encompass comics, graphic novels,
manga, webtoons, and other sequential arts.**

*Session formats include:*
45 minute interactive session with 15 minute Q&A
45 minute roundtable discussion with 15 minute Q&A
15 minute poster session

We encourage a wide variety of proposals from LIS professionals, scholars &
graduate students. Proposals from those identifying as a member of an
underrepresented population (race, ethnicity, gender, sexual identity,
disability, etc.) are especially encouraged.

*Proposals due:* Monday, December 13, 2021 at 11:59pm PT
*Initial notification of acceptance or rejection:* February 2022
*Proposal form:* https://bit.ly/csps2022

Accepted presenters will have the option to include a session paper in our
first conference proceedings in addition to uploading supplemental
materials for the planned session. The Comic Studies & Practices Symposium
conference proceedings will be an open access publication hosted by Digital
USD, our institutional repository. Session papers will receive editorial
review from the symposium planning committee. More information will be
provided to accepted presenters at a later date.

We intend for CSPS to be an on-campus conference. If necessary for
participant health or safety, CSPS will move to a virtual conference.

*Contacts:* V. Dozier (vdozier at sandiego.edu) or Millie Fullmer (
mfullmer at sandiego.edu)

--
Katie Greer