[Michlib-l] Job Posting - Library Intern Archives

Tammy Turgeon turgeont at libcoop.net
Wed Sep 1 12:23:18 EDT 2021

POSITION:
Library Science Student Intern – Focus on Archives
Part-time: 10 – 15 hrs/wk; will work with your schedule
Internship to run from October 2021 – September 2022
$15 per hour. This position does not include benefits.

OUR LIBRARY:
The Sterling Heights Public Library’s mission is to serve as an
information center for our community, offering a wide variety of
materials and services for education, entertainment, and enrichment in a
welcoming and helpful environment. The Sterling Heights Public Library
is located in Macomb County. The library is a member of the Suburban
Library Cooperative.

POSITION SUMMARY AND DUTIES:
The Library Science Student Intern is primarily responsible for working
with the Library’s archives and collections at the Upton House Museum
and assisting with weekly tours. We currently have a digital archive
through the Suburban Library Cooperative and want the Intern to assist
us with our newspaper articles as well as additional photos.
Secondarily, the Intern will provide reference and readers advisory
services to patrons of all ages, support patrons’ use of the library’s
technology services, as well as assist with programming.

The goal of the Internship is to provide supervised experiences that
prepare the library science student for the work of professional
librarians. We can provide opportunities across library departments, and
are also open to project ideas from the Intern.

REPORTS TO: Local History / Archives Librarian and Public Services Area
Coordinator

QUALIFICATIONS:
•	Possession of a Bachelor’s degree
•	Enrollment in a Master’s degree program in Library and/or Information
Science
•	Preference will be given to those candidates with at least one year
remaining in the program before graduation.

REQUIRED SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
•	Patron-centered public service attitude
•	Ability to exercise initiative and sound independent judgment
•	Working knowledge of common computer applications, including Microsoft
Office
•	Discretion and consideration for patron privacy
•	Written and verbal communication skills consistent with graduate-level
work
•	Punctuality and dependability

PREFERRED SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
•	Experience with PastPerfect or similar museum collections software
•	Advanced research skills
•	Technology skills specific to mobile devices and apps, coding, and
content management systems
•	Familiarity with library systems such as automation, interlibrary
loan, and databases
•	Public library experience, either as an advanced user or library
employee at any
                level of service

APPLY ONLINE AT:
https://www.sterling-heights.net/487/Apply-for-a-City-Job

DEADLINE:  Wednesday, September 14, 2021

--
Tammy Turgeon
Director