[Michlib-l] donated books

Robert Holley aa3805 at wayne.edu
Thu Sep 9 11:18:53 EDT 2021

The answer to this one is simple. According to IRS rules, you can't provide a receipt that gives any valuation. The receipt should verify only the number of books donated. Whether you keep them or not makes no difference. If the donor wishes to get a valuation for tax purposes, I would suggest using the following site:  https://www.addall.com/used/
[https://www.addall.com/images/addall-used.jpg]<https://www.addall.com/used/>
Buy Used Books and Out-of-Print Books Online Book Finder<https://www.addall.com/used/>
Buy used books online, out-of-print books, old books by our Book Finder? No problem AddALL! Why waste your time going from site to site? Search and Compare among 100,000 online used book stores, millions of books by using our website!
www.addall.com
Back when I could itemize deductions, I picked the median value for each book. The IRS never questioned my figures.

For the remaining books, add them to your book sale if you have one; offer them to a neighboring library that has book sales if you don't; consider homeless shelters, nursing homes, schools, etc. if the books are of potential interest. On the other hand, you might consider the simplest solution as far as staff time goes and just recycle them. I'm aware of the various book consignment sites like Better World Books and Thrift Books, but they aren't worth considering for such a small number of titles. The same is true for selling them on Amazon or eBay.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Dr. Robert P. Holley

Professor Emeritus, Wayne State University

13303 Borgman Avenue

Huntington Woods, MI  48070-1005

email: aa3805 at wayne.edu