[Michlib-l] Wilder

Syntha Green syntha.green at baldwinlib.org
Tue Sep 14 14:06:31 EDT 2021

This piece of research might help, http://www.dickshovel.com/ind.html
it can also be found in JSTOR
THE ONLY GOOD INDIAN IS A DEAD INDIAN
History and Meaning of a Proverbial Stereotype©
by Wolfgang Mieder

It ends with a passage that I think some people need to really think about:
The fact that this tiny piece of folk wisdom is still current today is a
very sad comment on this society and its behavior towards Native Americans.
As long as there remain prejudices and stereotypes about this minority
population, the proverb will not cease to exist. Wherever it will be
uttered or written, it will expose blatant inhumanity towards the Native
Americans. A conscious attempt to refrain from using the proverb "The only
good Indian is a dead Indian" might at least help to bring about some
changes towards a better life for Native Americans, one of pride and
dignity as is befitting for the indigenous people of this great country -
better the proverb die a long overdue death than any Native American get
hurt by it again.