[Michlib-l] Hybrid programming (in person and Zoom)

Betsy Myers mmyers at tadl.org
Sat Sep 25 13:30:00 EDT 2021

Here are some responses to hybrid programming.  We are doing some practice
sessions this coming week, I will post what we have figured out. Thanks
everyone!

*I have held four hybrid book discussions with about 20 people in
attendance each time, half on Zoom and half in person.  *

*The Senior Center where the meeting takes place has an excellent speaker
and also provides a projector and a screen.  I bring my own laptop and
connect to both of those.  So those of us in the room can see and hear the
Zoom people perfectly.*

*The problem is the other way around.  The people on Zoom can only see one
or two of us, and they cannot hear us very well, if at all.  The senior
center offered us their cordless microphone to pass around, but people are
uncomfortable using it because it has to be held very close to the mouth
when you speak.  We then tried a directional microphone from the library
and it only picked up me, since I was sitting right in front of it, but no
one else could be heard.  The library then purchased a conference room
microphone which was supposed to pick up from every direction.  I think it
cost $125.  It was marginally better.  *

*Each time we have moved our tables and chairs closer to the microphone and
remind everyone to speak up.  But it's still not enough.*

*My church uses a system called OWL which works fairly well.  The
microphone/camera sits in the middle of the room and turns toward whoever
is speaking so they are both heard and seen by the people on Zoom.  I've
been on both sides of this and it's a little hard to hear when I'm online,
but very clear for the people in person.  Overall, it's not bad.  OWL costs
about $1,000.*

*Basically, we still haven't gotten this figured out.  Audio equipment is
very expensive and I don't think there is a cheap way out of this.  At
least not for larger groups.  Most systems seem to be made for a small
conference room with 4-5 people sitting around a table.  Not what libraries
typically need.*

*I am doing a hybrid program Thursday night. I've never done one before and
I'm going to give it a trial run later today. This is how my director has
been conducting our library board meetings. I can let you know how it goes
or you could register for the event via our website. I actually sent out an
email through Michlib-l yesterday to pass the word along. I've had several
people register for the Zoom portion of the presentation.  *

*____________________________________________________________________________*

*I don’t know what public libraries are doing, but Delta College purchased
OWLs.  They plug into a computer and sit at the front of a room.  “Eyes”
are on whoever is speaking (so a question from the audience would mean that
the zoomers see the person asking the question).  I don’t know what this
means for privacy, though.—*

*We had a staff meeting yesterday and one person was remote.  The
powerpoint showed up both on her computer AND on the big screen in our
classroom so all other attendees could see it.  The OWL is pretty good at
picking up voices from a room, at least from a classroom.—Michele at Delta
College (in response to presentations, powerpoint, etc question)…when I
asked if the computer that was connected to Zoom was also connected to the
big screen, Michele said:  Yes, our classrooms are set up so that each
instructor computer (at the front of the room) is connected to the
projector on the ceiling.  I know that public libraries are going to have a
different setup, but you just want to connect the computer/laptop to the
projector.*

*­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ YS did a version of this during the summer. We set
up a small (Go Pro like) camera on a tripod and put it front of the podium.
I (as the host) stood behind the podium and spoke the audience both here
and on Zoom. Our performer was also on Zoom and took the program from
there. We projected the video onto the big screen so those sitting live in
the room, could watch and interact as well.*

--
*Betsy Myers*
Reference Department

*Currently listening to Local Woman Missing by Mary Kubica and Presidents
Daughter by Bill Clinton and James Patterson*