[Michlib-l] Need some help from public libraries that are City departments

Bartles, Maryanne mbartles at ci.dearborn.mi.us
Tue Apr 5 08:08:35 EDT 2022

Dearborn Public was created under Act 164 of 1877 and has been managed by our Library Commission since 1920.  Dearborn is re-writing the City Charter and there has been language brought forward to change the Library Commission to an advisory-only role and to have the Library Director appointed by the Mayor.  I am wondering if any other municipal libraries are managed this way.

All City library Directors, if you could answer the following questions, I would be most appreciative.

  1.  How is your library board selected.  Are they appointed by the mayor?  How many board members do you have and what is their term of office?  Can they be re-appointed?

  1.  What is the role of your library board?  Do they make all library policy decisions and manage the budget?  Or, are they advisory only and give input to the Mayor, who is the final decision-maker for the library?.

  1.  How is your library director selected?  Does your board interview, select and appoint the Director?  And, do they have the authority to fire the Director?  Or is it a mayoral appointed, similar to any other department head, who would serve at the will of the Mayor and, potentially, only as long as the Mayor was in office?

Maryanne Bartles
Library Director
Dearborn Public Library
16301 Michigan Avenue