[Michlib-l] Digital Wellness Symposium for 6-8th graders & parents/caregivers coming up May 14

Kristin Fontichiaro font at umich.edu
Wed Apr 13 19:13:30 EDT 2022

Hi, all!

We've opened up our May 14 virtual Digital Wellness Symposium to
students in grades 6-8 and a parent/caregiver and are excited about the
opportunity to hear from folks from multiple locations.

About this Event

*Calling 6th, 7th and 8th Graders and Their Parents/Caregivers!*

Middle school can be a time when kids are getting their first phones,
texting, signing up for social media, and exploring the web on their own.
Sometimes, online life is fun and rewarding, connecting us to our interests
and the people we care about. At other times, it can feel overwhelming,
addictive, or manipulative.

The past two years have reminded us of how much we rely on our devices. We
want kids to thrive when they are online, and we want parents and
caregivers to have confidence and tools for supporting that journey.

Please join us *Saturday, May 14, from 8:45 a.m.—12:30 p.m.*, for the U-M
Digital Wellness Conference! We’re looking for 40 two-person teams (middle
schooler plus parent/caregiver) to join us on Zoom for a fun morning of
learning, conversation, and activities about healthy online behaviors.
There will be time for kid-only activities with U-M students, time for
adults to engage with the featured speaker, and at-home conversation
prompts or challenge activities to complete together.

Our Keynote speaker will be Diana Graber <https://www.dianagraber.com/>,
author of *Raising Humans in a Digital World: Helping Kids Build a Healthy
Relationship with Technology*
<https://www.amazon.com/Raising-Humans-Digital-World-Relationship/dp/0814439799/ref=sr_1_1?crid=JKDYTLXXEB4O&keywords=diana+graber&qid=1643406254&sprefix=diana+graber%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-1>.
Graber is an expert in supporting kids and families in establishing healthy
online habits—which we call *digital wellness*.

*Registration is $15 per team, and scholarships are available for families
with limited income*. We only have room for 40 caregiver/kid teams (1
parent/caregiver and 1 child), so we expect that slots will fill quickly!
If scholarship and paid tickets are sold out, you can add your name to the
waitlist (maximum 20). If you would like to participate but need financial
assistance, please email digitalwellness at umich.edu to receive a promo code
then select the scholarship option when you register. You will then enter
your promo code and receive a full discount on your ticket. Each
caregiver/child team will receive a copy of *Raising Humans in a Digital
World* and U-M swag in the mail following the conference.

*Should you register and be unable to attend, you will receive a full
refund if you let us know no later than May 12 at 9:00 a.m.*

We still have scholarships available for families who need a financial
break!

Register here: https://soe.umich.edu/digitalwellness

--
Kristin Fontichiaro