[Michlib-l] Final Shifting Landscapes tonight at 7pm

Thomas Trahey ttrahey at mcdlibrary.org
Mon Apr 18 15:16:19 EDT 2022

The final Shifting Landscapes presentation will be tonight, Monday April
18, 7:00 pm. Professor Paul Pierson will present *A Mixed Economy.* Pierson
is the John Gross Professor of Political Science at the University of
California at Berkeley. Pierson’s teaching and research includes the fields
of American politics and public policy, comparative political economy, and
social theory.

Pierson will trace the economic and political history of the United States
over the last century. He’ll show how a viable mixed economy—where both
government and business each have their own roles while also working
collaboratively—has long been the dominant force of America’s prosperity.

Pierson, co-author with Jacob Hacker of *American Amnesia: How the War on
Government Led Us to Forget What Made America Prosper*, will show how a
viable mixed economy—where both effective democratic government and
well-functioning markets each have their own roles while also working
collaboratively—has long been the dominant force of America’s prosperity.

Pierson will discuss “with clear eyes” the failings of our society because
we’ve forgotten this essential truth. He will then identify the central
role the government has played in our prosperity during and in the decades
following WWII. Finally, he will argue that we can and we must restore “a
well-functioning politics,” one that promotes shared prosperity in order
for there to be both future market success and an effective democratic
society.

Shifting Landscapes is a presentation of the Mason County District Library
and the Abondia Center with support from the Michigan Council for the Arts
and Cultural Affairs and Michigan Humanitites.

Join us at 7pm on Zoom at mcdl.pub/sl-zoom or live at LACA in downtown
Ludington.

A recording will be available later this week. Register
<http://mcdl.pub/sl-register> and we will send you a link to the recording.

--
Thomas Trahey
Mason County District Library