[Michlib-l] Job Posting: Library Director - Shorewood, WI

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Tue Apr 19 16:54:22 EDT 2022

FYI, I am passing this on. It is the library in the community next to mine in suburban Milwaukee. It is the #1 library in MKE Co for usage per resident and #3 in the State of WI. It is a wonderful library and a great opportunity. The position is available due to the current director moving out of state. I can't answer specific questions about the position, since it's not MY library. But if you have questions about life in Milwaukee, especially as a transplant (I moved here from MI 11 years ago), feel free to email me directly. Also, I'm President of the WI Library Association so feel free to ask about general library issues for our lovely state.

The Village of Shorewood, WI, seeks to hire a Director of Library Services. We are looking for an optimistic leader and empathetic manager, who excels in communicating and building relationships with individuals and groups. We need a person committed to equity, who can supervise, inspire, and connect with staff at every stage of their career. The ideal candidate would have some experience managing projects, since the Director will move a $2 million renovation plan forward in 2023-2024.

About Shorewood
The Village of Shorewood is a suburb just north of the city of Milwaukee. Nestled between the banks of Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee River, Shorewood is notable for both natural beauty and semi-urban living. Shorewood is only about one square mile, and with a population of 13,800 people. Shorewood is a desirable place to live: walkable, bike-friendly, and with strong schools, featuring shopping, dining, parks and the forested Oak Leaf Trail – with easy access to downtown Milwaukee, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and the beaches of Lake Michigan.

About Shorewood Public Library
Mission: Shorewood Public Library welcomes everyone to learn, connect, and explore. We serve our community with resources that promote lifelong learning and engagement.

Customer and community focus

  *   Strong print collection, and an expanding array of digital resources, which are highly valued by users and well-supported by staff, budget, and through collaboration with Milwaukee County Federated Library System and the State of Wisconsin
  *   Generous public computers, Wi-Fi access, and printing services
  *   Equity Commitment with embedded accountability measures
  *   Strong relationship with Village of Shorewood School District

Unique advantages and resources

  *   Library Board that is committed to supporting and advocating for a staff of 13.5 FTE including a team of benefitted professional librarians
  *   Longstanding and strong advocacy from Friends of Shorewood Public Library
  *   Recipient of significant bequest allowing for additional support to pursue projects
  *   Loved and respected community hub and resource, supported by Village citizens, elected officials, and staff

Required Experience
5 years of management experience in a library setting
Grade I Wisconsin Library Director Certification, or eligibility to meet requirements (See https://dpi.wi.gov/pld/certification for more information)

Additional Desired Experience
Experience working on complex projects
Experience as a library director

Salary
Starts at $72,000, negotiable dependent upon experience.
Plus benefits package

To Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to the Search Committee at angela.andre at mcfls.org by Sunday, May 8, 2022. You can find application materials and the full job description at: http://www.shorewoodlibrary.org/discover/who-we-are/join_our_team.php

Sincerely,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Reed
Whitefish Bay Public Library, Director
Wisconsin Library Association, President (2022)

N.Reed at WFBLibrary.org
414-755-6551 (direct line)

5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)

Our Mission
The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting all people, inspiring a love of learning and providing access to ideas, information and resources.