[Michlib-l] FOIA of Employee Information

Katelin Smith katelin.smith at westlandlibrary.org
Wed Aug 24 13:56:55 EDT 2022

Hello, everyone,

Recently, our library received a FOIA from an organization outside our state requesting information on our union-represented employees.

  *   First name;
  *   Middle name;
  *   Last name;
  *   Date of Birth/Birth year;
  *   Gender;
  *   Work email address;
  *    Job Title;
  *   Worksite location;
  *   Worksite address; and,
  *   Hire Date.

We understand that by law, we are required to give information. Still, some of it is more personal than others, such as middle name and gender, and several staff whose data would be included do not feel comfortable sharing it. Have other libraries experienced this, and if so, what did you do? Our director is reaching out to her contacts but she requested that I reach out as well to cast the widest net possible for information and insight.

Thanks,
Katelin
Katelin Smith (she/her/hers, they/them/theirs)
Adult Services Librarian | Homebound Coordinator
William P. Faust Public Library of Westland
6123 Central City Parkway | Westland, Michigan 48185
734-326-6123 ex. 2824 | www.westlandlibrary.org