[Michlib-l] FOIA of Employee Information

Paul McCann pmccann at dexter.lib.mi.us
Wed Aug 24 15:22:14 EDT 2022

Hi Katelin,

I would consult with your attorney and have them draft the specific response letter. This is from the Freedom of Information Act Statute:

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 442 of 1976

15.243 Exemptions from disclosure; public body as school district, intermediate school district, or public school academy; withholding of information required by law or in possession of executive office.

Sec. 13.
(1) A public body may exempt from disclosure as a public record under this act any of the following:
(a) Information of a personal nature if public disclosure of the information would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of an individual's privacy.

A number of years ago, we had a similar request for patron information. While the Library Privacy Act took precedence there, the above was also cited by our attorney in the denial letter.

You should have a FOIA coordinator within the University and I would contact that person/department first. You may be able to hand this off to that office for processing, but I would stay involved to ensure there were no unwarranted invasions of privacy.

Hope this helps,
Paul McCann