[Michlib-l] [EXT] Re: Assistant Director hourly wage in a Class 3 library

Rebecca Daly rebecca.daly at finlandia.edu
Thu Feb 24 12:04:52 EST 2022

There is a plethora of resources determining and advocating for equitable
salaries and wages via the ALA-APA- Better Salaries toolkit. It is from
2014, so you can calculate today's rates by using cost of living increases
(I think I looked at the Social Security annual COL percentage increases).
https://ala-apa.org/files/2014/05/2014-ALA-APA-BETTER-SALARIES-TOOLKIT-2.pdf

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 11:54 AM Jocelyn Levin via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Here are the reported stats from 2019-2020 for all Class III with Asst.
> Directors:
>
> Hrs/Wk Min Salary Max Salary Min Hourly Max Hourly
> 40 $16,000 $34,000 $7.69 $16.35
> 32 $15,000 $40,000 $9.01 $24.04
> 16 $8,000 $25,000 $9.62 $30.05
> 30 $15,600 $27,300 $10.00 $17.50
> 21 $11,180 $12,298 $10.24 $11.26
> 28 $15,000 $20,000 $10.30 $13.74
> 47 $27,574 $30,742 $11.28 $12.58
> 30 $18,720 $22,230 $12.00 $14.25
> 40 $25,000 $33,000 $12.02 $15.87
> 33 $22,000 $28,000 $12.82 $16.32
> 35 $24,000 $36,000 $13.19 $19.78
> 40 $27,883 $34,080 $13.41 $16.38
> 40 $28,000 $42,000 $13.46 $20.19
> 33 $23,423 $30,521 $13.65 $17.79
> 28 $21,000 $22,000 $14.42 $15.11
> 36 $27,000 $35,000 $14.42 $18.70
> 34 $25,742 $27,657 $14.56 $15.64
> 35 $27,000 $30,000 $14.84 $16.48
> 37 $28,822 $28,822 $14.98 $14.98
> 30 $23,400 $24,180 $15.00 $15.50
> 40 $31,858 $37,368 $15.32 $17.97
> 30 $24,000 $27,000 $15.38 $17.31
> 32 $27,000 $36,000 $16.23 $21.63
> 40 $34,100 $34,100 $16.39 $16.39
> 35 $30,000 $45,000 $16.48 $24.73
> 40 $35,000 $45,000 $16.83 $21.63
> 40 $35,000 $38,500 $16.83 $18.51
> 38 $35,000 $45,000 $17.71 $22.77
> 40 $38,400 $38,400 $18.46 $18.46
> 36 $35,000 $40,000 $18.70 $21.37
> 34 $33,535 $33,535 $18.97 $18.97
> 20 $20,800 $35,500 $20.00 $34.13
> 36 $37,625 $52,859 $20.10 $28.24
> 44 $48,000 $56,000 $20.98 $24.48
> 34 $63,292 $63,292 $35.80 $35.80
> Av. Hrs/Wk      Av. Min      Av. Max      Av. Min/Hr      Av. Max/Hr
> 34         $27,399 $34,582  $15.17  $19.57
>

> Jocelyn Levin, MLIS
> Youth Services Librarian
> jlevin at ltpl.org
> **Please note new email address**
>
> Lyon Township Public Library
> 27005 S. Milford Rd, South Lyon, MI 48178
> 248.437.8800
> www.LTPL.org
>

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 7:28 PM AD Jeffrey Babbitt via Michlib-l <
> michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello Librarians
>>
>> Our Assistant Director seems terribly underpaid, and our Board is looking
>> for current information on what other Class 3 libraries are paying per
>> hour. If you represent a Class 3 library with an Assistant Director
>> position (whether filled or vacant), what hourly wage is associated with
>> that position? We very much appreciate the help.
>>
>> Library of Michigan data from 2016 includes minimum and maximum salary
>> information for Class 3 libraries as well as average hours per week. From
>> this, I calculated some parameters ... Have things changed much?
>>                Min          Max
>> Low        $7.69*     $7.88*
>> High       $30.67    $39.43
>> Mean     $14.41    $22.81
>> Median  $13.60    $22.20
>> * Was this minimum wage at the time? Significantly lower than the current
>> $9.87.
>>
>> Averaging Min and Max for each case, I found a mid-point of about $17 or
> [...]

Rebecca R. Daly, MLIS

Head Librarian

she/her

Office: 906-487-7253

Maki Library, Wargalin Hall

601 Quincy St

Hancock, MI 49930

RIDES CODE: zf007

Learn More about our 125th Anniversary at FINLANDIA.EDU/125TH
<http://finlandia.edu/125th>

Library Slideshow at Finlandia.edu/library/