[Michlib-l] Seeking Participants for Research Study on Youth Collection Development Decisions

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Mon Jan 10 13:45:43 EST 2022

Please see the study participant request below from an UNC-Chapel Hill School of Information & Library Science student.

Hello,

My name is Ashley Hull, and I am a graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I am currently enrolled in the School of Information and Library Science, where I am studying to obtain my Master's in Library Science. Currently, I am in the process of conducting my master's paper project. I am studying how the personal ideologies of public and school librarians influence collection development decisions and how book challenges are handled. I am looking to do interviews of youth/teen librarians who work in either a school or public library in North Carolina or Michigan (my home state) who focus on collection development.

An MSLS is not required for participation in this study. Participants are under no obligation to agree to participate in the study and may withdraw their participation at any time.

The interviews will be conducted via phone or zoom and are expected to last approximately thirty minutes. If you grant my permission, I will record the interview sessions and transcribe them for later analysis. All information provided by participants will be included under pseudonyms in my master's paper. I would also like to compensate you for your time by providing each interview participant with a $20 Amazon gift card. If you have questions or concerns about your rights as a research subject, you may contact, anonymously if you wish, the Institutional Review Board at (919) 966-3113 or by email to IRB_subjects at unc.edu<mailto:IRB_subjects at unc.edu>.

IRB Study #: 21-3106
Title of Study: Challenging the Challenged: A Case Study of Collection Development Practices and Censorship of Children's and Young Adult Literature Within Public and School Libraries
Principal Investigator Department: UNC-CH School of Information and Library Science

If you are interested in participating in this study, please email me at hulla at ad.unc.edu<mailto:hulla at ad.unc.edu>.

Thank you,

Ashley Hull
She/Her/Hers
Graduate Student Assistant, UNC Law Library
UNC-Chapel Hill | School of Information & Library Science '22