[Michlib-l] First Amendment Audit

Klaudia Janek kjanek at bloomfield.org
Wed Jan 12 13:58:11 EST 2022

I've been following this discussion and I sat and watched Clare's
presentation the day it was happening (but left for class after about 40
minutes) and I tend to skim the articles because I am not in a public
library.  But I was just thinking today that I am in a public school and
thus a public school library.  Our exterior building doors are locked all
day.  We do not let anyone in, even if they ring the doorbell if they are
not a teacher or a student.  Not that I want to be included in an "audit"
but, in theory (or legally) are members of the public allowed to walk into
a public school at any time? Given that most of our students are minors, is
there something protecting them?

Would a children's or teen section of a public library be considered
off-limits because most of the patrons would be minors?

I'm thinking worst-case scenario here and thinking if there is a
possibility of this moving into public school library places??? Especially
with all the book challenges going on now.

Also, I do NOT have the US Constitution for Dummies...but I do have lots of
US Constitution books that are more research focused ;)

I think this audit experience would be kind of scary and intimidating.  I'm
sorry for those of you who have had negative experiences with this.

Best-
Klaudia

Klaudia Janek, MLIS

*School Librarian*

*IB Extended Essay Coordinator*

*Michigan Association for Media in Education - 2018 Past President*

*2019-2020 AASL Presidential Task Force - Equity, Diversity & Inclusion*

248 341 5925

https://libresbooksmi.blogspot.com/

*International Academy*

www.iatoday.org <http://www.iatoday.org>