[Michlib-l] Intern with the Southfield Public Library!

Kelly Rembert krembert at southfieldlibrary.org
Mon Jan 31 17:23:08 EST 2022

Intern with the Southfield Public Library!

LIBRARY INTERNSHIP

Southfield Public Library

2-year position

30-40 hours/week

The Southfield Public Library<https://southfieldlibrary.org/> is centrally located in the Detroit Metropolitan area.  Serving a daytime population of 175,000, our fast-paced library is the hub of the business and residential community.  Built in 2003, our 100,000 square foot library has an esteemed reputation for excellent public service, along with a core collection of print and digital resources.  The Library’s guiding mission is “We help people succeed.”  Our experienced librarians are top-notch professionals who assist patrons with their information needs.

POSITION AND DUTIES

Interns are an integral part of the Southfield Public Library’s operations.  Internships are available in Adult Services, Youth Services, Technology and Community Outreach divisions.  During an internship, you will gain experience working on public service desks, providing reference and reader’s advisory service.  You will assist patrons with their mobile devices and show them how to use our digital collections.  Programming experience will be gained by assisting librarians with library programs and teaching classes to the public.  You will learn collection development by being responsible for assigned collections.  You will have an opportunity to create and maintain book displays.  The overall goal of the library internships is to provide students with real life library experience and guidance while working alongside professional librarians.

QUALIFICATIONS

  *   Bachelor’s Degree
  *   Current enrollment in a Master’s degree program in Library and Information Science at the time of hire
  *   Willingness to work collaboratively

DESIRED SKILLS MAY INCLUDE

  *   Customer service experience
  *   Experience working with children
  *   Web design experience
  *   Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite or Canva
  *   Familiarity with Microsoft Office 365 and TEAMS
  *   Experience working with social media platforms, video content creation, and streaming video

SALARY AND BENEFITS

  *   $15.00/hour first year; $16.00/hour second year
  *   Vacation, sick, personal business leave and paid holidays
  *   Heath insurance
  *   Tuition reimbursement allowance
  *   Incentive bonus upon completion of the 2-year position

HOURS AND PLACEMENT

  *   30-40 hours per week, including day, evening and weekend hours
  *   Internships offered in multiple departments: Adult Services, Youth Services, Technology and Community Outreach

DEADLINE:   Friday, February 11

TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume and City of Southfield Application for Employment<https://www.cityofsouthfield.com/sites/default/files/inline-files/generalapplication-fillable.pdf> to Mary Beall, Acting City Librarian, Southfield Public Library, 26300 Evergreen Road, Southfield, MI 48076 mbeall at southfieldlibrary.org<mailto:mbeall at southfieldlibrary.org>