[Michlib-l] LM's Library Science Collection - Serving Patrons with Disabilities & Accessibility in Libraries

Reish, Karren (MDE) ReishK at michigan.gov
Thu Jul 21 13:44:37 EDT 2022

Want to start an outreach program for disabled patrons? What issues are there for library services and library spaces for disabled community members? LM is highlighting topical Library Science titles from our collection in occasional emails. Here are selected accessibility titles purchased recently. You can search MeLCat for LM titles and you can also check our New Library Science Collection titles at http://35.8.7.98/screens/lmftlist.html.

In terms of providing materials to disabled patrons, you can direct community members who meet the guidelines for the Braille and Talking Book service to the state Braille and Talking Book Library for free content - https://www.michigan.gov/leo/bureaus-agencies/bureau-of-services-for-blind-persons/btbl.

REMINDER: Titles are available through interlibrary loan only right now, as our MeLCat delivery is temporarily offline while we prepare to move to a new catalog. you can find the information on interlibrary loan borrowing from the Library of Michigan here - https://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/about/libuseguidelines/guideforlibraries/interlibrary-loan-guidelines. The page reference state employees, but libraries may also borrow from the collection through interlibrary loan.

Accessibility titles:

  *   Library Programming for Autistic Children and Teens by Amelia Anderson, ALA Editions, 2021.
  *   Library Dementia Services: How to Meet the Needs of the Alzheimer's Community by Timothy J. Dickey, Emerald Publishing Limited, 2020.
  *   Serving Teens and Adults on the Autism Spectrum: A Guide for Libraries by Carrie Rogers-Whitehead, Libraries Unlimited, 2020
  *   Libraries and Reading: Intellectual Disability and the Extent of Library Diversity by Matthew Conner, Emerald Publishing Limited, 2020.
  *   Developing a Library Accessibility Plan: A Practical Guide for Librarians by Rebecca M. Marrall, Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, 2020.
  *   Serving teens with Mental Illness in the Library: A Practical Guide by Deborah K. Takahashi, ABC-CLIO, 2019.
  *   Accessibility, Technology, and Librarianship by Heather Moorefield-Lang, ed., ALA TechSource, 2018.

The Library Science Collection at LM is made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

Have a title you'd like us to purchase? Let me know!

Karren Reish
Library Grants Coordinator
Library of Michigan
517-241-0021,  www.michigan.gov/lsta<http://www.michigan.gov/lsta>

May is Teacher Appreciation Month - recognizing outstanding educators. Learn more<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.michigan.gov%2Fmde%2F0%2C4615%2C7-140-5683_13651-495736--%2C00.html&data=05%7C01%7CReishK%40michigan.gov%7Cef7e920782cb4e1cecae08da2c3f8881%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C637870948662821258%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=ltzA4FCCSeAPwUldaLQDy%2BNSi50Hn37Pd%2Fdla45vtDU%3D&reserved=0>!
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D86607.AA4C7010]