[Michlib-l] Keeping track of outreach patrons advice

Julianne Novetsky jnovetsky at cityofwarren.org
Wed Nov 2 17:01:16 EDT 2022

Hello,

My library has recently begun providing delivery of library materials to patrons who are homebound. As this is a new service, we only have a few people that are currently signed up for the program. I am able to communicate with the patrons directly via phone or email to set up a time to drop off and pick up their items. This may become more difficult as the program continues to grow.

My main concern is how to keep everything organized. What tools do you use to keep track of your homebound patrons and when their items are due? Do you have a set delivery schedule, or do you try to be flexible about when you deliver items?

Most of the patrons I work with do not request specific books. I work with them to find out what types of materials they are interested in. Based on what they tell me, I choose some books that I think they will like. If your library does this, how do you keep track of the books you have given them in the past?

 So far, I have been keeping notes for myself, but I would like it to be accessible to other library staff in my absence. I think some sort of spreadsheet would work the best for what I am getting at, but I am having a difficult time visualizing it. If, for example, you use Excel, do you have a tab for each patron?  I would really appreciate if anyone could share an example of how they keep track of this information.

 If anyone else is interested, I can summarize the ideas that are shared with me.

Thanks so much for your help!

Julianne Novetsky
Outreach Services
Warren Civic Center Library