[Michlib-l] Library Marketing

Katie Rothley krothley at northvillelibrary.org
Mon Nov 7 16:26:23 EST 2022

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share that there is a national conference specifically focused on library marketing and it is called Library Marketing & Communications Conference.

If you aren't familiar with it, it's an annual conference that changes location but this year's was, and next year's will be, in Indianapolis, Indiana, in November. I was fortunate to learn about it before it took place this year, and it was ah-mazing. Angela Hursh did a pre-conference workshop and was one of the keynote speakers. Staff from the Brooklyn Public Library system was the other keynote session and they talked about their response to book challenges nationally by offering teens digital library cards from their library. BPL did fundraising in order to pay for the special collection.

If you have designated marketing staff... consider sending them to the conference next year because all of the sessions are focused on some aspect of marketing, outreach, social media, policies, promotions, communication, strategies, and public relations. There are opportunities to share marketing materials/assets during the Swag Swap portion, and you can meet marketing staff from all over and know that you are not alone in any of the experiences you may have doing this work.

Lastly, this conference is planned and organized by volunteers who are part of the Library Marketing Conference Group. It's only been around since 2015, I believe, and you can even sign up to help plan it!

Here's the conference website:
[ https://www.librarymarketingconference.org/ | https://www.librarymarketingconference.org/ ]

P.S. The Library of Michigan's presentation on data visualization was awesome!
P.S.S. I am not being endorsed or sponsored in any way by sharing this info!

Sincerely,

Katie Rothley, MLIS
Marketing & Public Relations Librarian
Northville District Library