[Michlib-l] Special needs staff question

Don Priest dpriest at southgate.lib.mi.us
Tue Nov 8 11:47:17 EST 2022

Hi all, hoping for a little help. We have a staff member who has some cognitive impairment, that limits what work they can reliably take on. They've been here for a long time, and handle shelving for a couple of easy areas, straighten up shelves, simple tasks. The problem is, there is far less for them to do than there used to be, so they are frequently running out of tasks they're familiar with. I need more for them to do, but am having a hard time figuring out what else they can do. Anyone else with a similar staff member, what kinds of tasks do you have them work on?

Yes, I am well aware that every person is unique, and that something one person can do may not be possible, or feasible, for another. I'm looking for ideas, and can determine if they would work well for our situation or not. I'll be pursuing other leads as well. I appreciate any suggestions, thank you!

Donald Priest
Director
Southgate Veterans Memorial Library
14680 Dix-Toledo Rd.