[Michlib-l] Keeping track of outreach patrons advice

Julianne Novetsky jnovetsky at cityofwarren.org
Wed Nov 16 15:22:12 EST 2022

Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago, I sent out an email asking for advice for setting up my library outreach program. Thank you for all the responses! I tried to respond to you individually, but if I missed you, please know that I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. 🙂

Anyway, a few people had asked me to summarize what I found out.

-A few libraries suggested that I check to see what is available through my ILS, as they sometimes have outreach modules available. These modules obviously vary, but they include things like setting patron preferences, maintaining reading histories, creating wishlists, etc. The two systems that were mentioned were Biblionix Apollo and Polaris Leap, but other systems also probably have this available.

-Several libraries keep track in Excel. For these libraries, the general best practice seems to be maintaining a tab for each patron individually. These libraries basically track the same information listed above.

-For other libraries, it works best to keep this information as a "note" in the patron's record in their ILS.

-A few libraries also have a paper copy. Every patron gets a file with their original request form, a copy of the items that have been checked out, and a comment form, etc. This is usually in combination with some kind of digital records (ie, Excel).

-One library suggested putting "outreach" in the patron's library card record as part of their name. So, for example, I would be Jullianne Outreach Novetsky.

-Another really good idea is changing the email notifications for items to a library staff member who is in charge of/part of outreach so that they can renew the items or contact the patrons when they are due.

-Some libraries have set delivery schedules (generally if they have small programs), and some are more based upon patron request. All of the libraries do make room to be as flexible as possible. 🙂

-Word of mouth advertising seems to be very helpful. Also, contacting senior centers/retirement homes.

-Some libraries use staff for delivery, some use volunteers, and a few use a combination of the two. Some libraries have staff using their own vehicles (if they don't have one for the city/library). This is obviously dependent on your resources.

-Some libraries send items by mail. One recommendation is using heavy-duty media mailer pouches that are available at the post office. Libraries who send items by mail do have to pay postage, but sometimes they have accounts pre-paid with their local post office. Patrons generally have return postage included.

-Most libraries extend due dates until a month (if your items are usually three weeks). Generally, items by mail are sent out when the previous item is sent back.

-Comment forms are helpful to include with each delivery, so that you can be sure you are selecting materials that your patrons enjoy.

I think I am hitting the main points here! A few libraries also included attachments with examples of their excel sheets, and one library sent me a previous summary they had created when they asked a similar question a few years ago. Please let me know off list if you are interested in those, and I can send those to you directly.

Julianne Novetsky
Outreach Services
Warren Civic Center Library
One City Square, Suite 100