[Michlib-l] Job Posting: Library Director- Putnam District Library

Putnam District Library director at putnamlib.org
Fri Sep 2 14:58:22 EDT 2022

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – Library Director
Putnam District Library is seeking a motivated, organized, and adaptable individual to become our next Library Director. This person should be excited about community involvement and leading a small team. Strong interpersonal skills and forward thinking are a must for this position, while creativity and initiative are encouraged. This person must also be aware of and willing to honor and respect Intellectual Freedom and the Library Bill of Rights.
Our library is located in Nashville, a rural village with only an hour drive to multiple cities like Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo. As a place where everyone knows their neighbors, delightful patron visits are a daily occurrence. Our community is blessed with a business district that loves to mix things up and make a fun destination out of our small town. Since its creation, they’ve put together three world record attempts, including MOO-Ville’s “World’s Longest Ice Cream Sundae”, put a large focus on town beautification, and have created opportunities for local businesses and organizations to come together to achieve common goals. Our historical society held an impressive 3-day event for our town’s sesquicentennial celebration in 2019. Nashville students attend Maple Valley Schools; with current graduating classes of about 60 students, it means lots of opportunities for kids to flourish in athletics and the art and music programs.
Our modest collection is housed in an 1880s historic home donated to the village by our namesakes, Charles and Agnes Putnam, specifically for the purpose of becoming a library. They donated $10,000 and 300 of their own books to the village, and the Women’s Literary Club succeeded in opening our library to the public in 1923. Charles and Agnes’ original donated portraits can still be viewed in our front room. We have a ten year millage that is good until 2025, and we are in the beginning stages of planning for our 100 year anniversary in 2023.
Village website: nashvillemi.us<http://www.nashvillemi.us/>
Business District website: nashvilleroute66.com<http://www.nashvilleroute66.com/>
Maple Valley Schools website: mvs.k12.mi.us<http://www.mvs.k12.mi.us/>

General Description: An individual appointed by the Library Board of Trustees who directs the day-to-day functions of Putnam District Library and promotes services to all potential users. This individual has full responsibility for administration of the library within the framework of the Library’s plan, policies, and budget. The Library Director reports directly to the President of the Library Board of Trustees. Training provided on library-specific systems; however strong technology skills are essential.

Qualifications:

  *   High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
  *   Reads widely and objectively.
  *   Has knowledge of community and current events.
  *   Possesses traits of organization, leadership, and imagination.
  *   Is willing to change and adapt as necessary.
  *   Is progressive in attitude and actions.
  *   Has the ability to handle problems in difficult situations.
  *   Is familiar with the budget process.
  *   Has ability to research and apply for appropriate grants.
  *   Has the ability to train and supervise staff.
  *   Has the ability to communicate effectively with staff and public.
  *   Has the ability to perform in a professional, cordial manner in order to foster favorable community relations.
  *   Willing to go the extra mile to give excellent customer service.
  *   Familiar with computers, current technology, and office equipment.
Summarized Duties:

  *   Acts as a resource to the public by providing front desk customer service, assisting with public access computers, providing readers’ advisory and reference information, and seeks to meet the ever-changing needs of library users.
  *   Represents Putnam District Library in the community.
  *   Demonstrates proficiency in all front desk tasks.
  *   Collects, processes, and maintains statistical information for general information and funding sources.
  *   Purchases office, building, programming, and other library supplies
  *   Applies for appropriate grants.
  *   Establishes short and long-range goals for Putnam District Library with input from the staff, community, and Library Board.
  *   Oversees collection development by selecting materials for the library’s collection, manages donations, and keeps the collection current and in good condition.
  *   Works to be sure the library stays up to date on technology trends, services, and security measures.
  *   Oversees community relations by informing public of library policies and changes, establishes a publicity program utilizing local resources, and participates in community organizations and activities as appropriate.
  *   Works with Assistant Director, staff, and volunteers to provide children/community programs and helps conduct programs for teens and adults.
  *   Oversees evaluation of library premises and takes necessary action to ensure safety, efficiency, and usefulness of the building.
  *   Conducts a monthly Library Board meeting to inform Board of Trustees on pertinent information, assists the Board Treasurer by maintaining and providing necessary financial information, and performs any tasks as directed by Board President.
  *   Supervises and trains staff, employs and discharges staff with approval of the Library Board, creates the monthly schedule.
  *   Obtains and maintains certification as required by the Library of Michigan.
For a full list of Library Director Duties, visit putnamlib.org<https://www.putnamlib.org/site-assets/files/library-director-full-job-description-2022.pdf/view>.
Hours: Full-time, 32 hours per week. Library employment requires some evening and Saturday morning hours.
Salary: $28,000, includes holidays and PTO after 90 days
Posting Date: 8/6/22
Closing Date: Until filled

If you are interested in applying for this position, please send cover letter, resume, and application to Board President, Ginger Cole by mail (preferred) or via email.
gm.cole at hotmail.com
8615 S. Clark Rd
Nashville, MI 49073

Brittany Olson
Interim Director
Putnam District Library

327 N. Main St.
PO Box 920
Nashville, MI 49073
Phone: 517-852-9723

--
This message has been scanned by E.F.A. Project and is believed to be clean.